340 to go faster.

-

hux340

Reaction score
G'day All,
Just rebuilt the 83/4 diff the other day. Was a LSD but only 1 wheel was spinning, great now. Anyway I was talking to the bloke who did the diff & told him the 340 in my Demon is putting out around 350hp at the flywheel. I asked him how I could get another 100hp out of the motor without going crazy on $.
He simply said for about $2,500 aus drive in & out he'd do a cam upgrade, aluminium intake & extractors.
Don't really want to change the originality of the engine bay but I guess I can bolt the factory intake & headers back in the car later on if I like.
Getting used to the hp, but want more.
Had a 1970 falcon GT years ago & that had 450hp & man did I love the speed.
Anyway what do you think?

Cheers,
Glenn.

Gonna need some head work to reach 450 hp.

Or one big *** cam! LOL!
What has ben done to the 340 already?

Not sure with what's been done to the motor, without tearing it down. Car was fully restored in the states in 09 including the motor. Had a few previous owners since then. All I have is the cam card, some notes saying comp. 9:1. Mildly worked heads off late 80's truck. Cam upgrade. NOS 72 block. 650 Holley with vac secondaries. A833 with LSD 3.23.

Not sure with what's been done to the motor, without tearing it down. Car was fully restored in the states in 09 including the motor. Had a few previous owners since then. All I have is the cam card, some notes saying comp. 9:1. Mildly worked heads off late 80's truck. Cam upgrade. NOS 72 block. 650 Holley with vac secondaries. A833 with LSD 3.23.

Set of 3.91 rear gear would wake it up! What about exhaust? Dougs or Tti headers and there 2 1/2 exhaust with either h or x pipe would be an easy 25-30 hp.

Would go the 3.91s but as I live in a rural area I do a lot of highway kms, maybe 3.5. Good advice on the exhaust mate.

Don't know the size of your current cam, but 80's model truck heads are not helping the cause. The 3.23 gears and a stock'ish torque converter are going to limit your cam size. If you do a head upgrade, don't go too crazy, or you'll kill your bottom end torque, and you need that to move the car with those highway gears.

-
Back