340 Valve Cover Gaskets Leaking

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
OK, got my new intake installed. We also replaced the valve cover gaskets. Now the right bank is leaking at rear. I've replaced the (cork) gaskets two times and it still leaks at the same location.

Looking for a soultion.

Thanks in advance.

What kind / brand of valve covers are you using? You've got 2 cars in your signature so it's tough to tell what you're working on.

Is the gasket rail on that leaking valve cover straight? You can usually only tell this by taking it off, removing the gasket, turning it upside down and looking at it longways from the short end.

looking at it longways from the short end.[/QUOTE]
That's what I do every time I pee. LOL

check the cover it may be distorted around the bolt holes from being overtightened. straighten the cover and use rubber and steelreinforced gasket.it costs more but wont leak like cork

Paladin: Had the exact same problem on mine. Started with a cork/rubber combined gasket, (Fel-Pro)then bought a rubber gasket (Victor), still leaked. Valve covers were good and straight everything was clean, even used non hardening gasket sealer, still leaked. Finally purchased a set of Mopar gaskets with the steel shim and coated on both sides with rubber. Took care of the problem. They are not cheap, but were probably cheaper than the other two sets of gasket I bought.

Wow...I love this place. I'm working on CHERRY my 72 Duster. I have the Mopar cast alum valve covers. Not sure about possible distortion around the bolt holes from being overtightened. That's possible.

Where can I get a set of Mopar gaskets with the steel shim and coated on both sides with rubber?

Thanks all.

cover is probably ok if its cast. are studs or bolts you are using to long and bottoming out before actually tightening the cover to head?

If you have an aftermarket intake I'll bet the outside rail where the gasket fits is hitting the intake runners. This is a common problem. You have to grind off the outer lip so they will fit down on the head.

HI. I had the same problem with mine leaking also. Instead of grinding the valve cover I glued two gaskets together to give me more clearance and now no leaks. Bobby

... except an aftermarket intake will cause leaks on both sides if the valve covers haven't been notched guys. I'd guess there's a dab of crusty old silicone or grunge stuck on the gasket rail of the leaker if the rail itself is straight and intact.

I use the Moroso "blue" gaskets i found then to be of a better quality and cheaper(pricewise) then the Mopar ones..

I like the Fel-pro neoprene valve cover gaskets. They are also reusable. Go to the parts store and tell them that you have a 67 273 4 bbl. The valve cover gaskets for that are the neoprene rubber because it had adjustable rockers and need to be adjusted periodically.

Well you get the gold star!! After further investigation this is exactly my problem. I appreciate the support.

If you have an aftermarket intake I'll bet the outside rail where the gasket fits is hitting the intake runners. This is a common problem. You have to grind off the outer lip so they will fit down on the head.

Instead of removing and grinding the intake I am going to double stack gaskets. Thanks for the help.

HI. I had the same problem with mine leaking also. Instead of grinding the valve cover I glued two gaskets together to give me more clearance and now no leaks. Bobby

Yep that's the problem I bet. Novice mechanics seem to always over look test fitment before installing permanently. I can't understand why ma mopar has not addressed this issue with their valve covers. You have to grind the lip off! Im sure they have gotten complaints on this situation.

-
Back