340 warrenty block

-

4speeddemon

Reaction score
hey guys i bought a 1970 340 to build a stroker with. i tore it down and was getting ready to take it to the machine shop when i noticed there were no vin numbers stamped on the pad on the pass side of the block. that means this is a 340 warrenty block correct? im goin to take it and have it hot tanked and magnafluxed, its standard bore. what would this be worth if it checks out ok?

thanks

ok then, why isnt there any numbers stamped on the pad. and no they havent been ground off or removed in any other way.

Stampings always didn't take place but the tag on the block was a more frequent method of id-ing a replacement block for warranty purpose. If the block was installed outside of the warranty period good chance that neither method took place.

ok then, why isnt there any numbers stamped on the pad. and no they havent been ground off or removed in any other way.

At one time you could buy NOS blocks, they weren't stamped. There was a guy a year or so ago had one for sale on another forum for 5 grand, he picked it up out of a warehouse in Detroit.

The only reason it might be worth more than any other 340 block is you could stamp it with your numbers and say it's a numbers matching vehicle. Is that $5000 worth? Not to me, but I cut my cars up anyway so what do I know. lol

i've got one too...from around 71-72 ...warranty,no tag

The only reason it might be worth more than any other 340 block is you could stamp it with your numbers and say it's a numbers matching vehicle. Is that $5000 worth? Not to me, but I cut my cars up anyway so what do I know. lol

Yeah, I thought 5 was a bit high, but some others didn't I think he sold it for close to that.

well i bought it as a complete engine it made its way into a car at one point in its life. like i said my plans were to build a stroker so i dont care about numbers etc. i just thought it might be more useful to someone doing a stock resto etc.

anyone have any idea if its worth anymore then any other block? again it was a complete running engine at one time, its just a block now, dated 6-30-70, stock bore, no numbers stamped on, im just wondering incase i decide to sell it i dont ask a rediculous price or to little

thanks guys

well i bought it as a complete engine it made its way into a car at one point in its life. like i said my plans were to build a stroker so i dont care about numbers etc. i just thought it might be more useful to someone doing a stock resto etc.

anyone have any idea if its worth anymore then any other block? again it was a complete running engine at one time, its just a block now, dated 6-30-70, stock bore, no numbers stamped on, im just wondering incase i decide to sell it i dont ask a rediculous price or to little

thanks guys

Put it out there with a price, you never know. It may be worth it to someone.

again it was a complete running engine at one time, its just a block now, dated 6-30-70, stock bore,
thanks guys

Not that it makes a difference, but I believe that's actually a 71 block. There was a thread here on FABO not too long ago discussing June dated blocks.

I do not see it being worth anymore than any other 340 block.If someone wanted that date code they may pay alittle more for it.But to me a date code block is stupid once the numbers matching block is gone its gone,as long as you put the right cid engine back in it whats the difference?I would not worry about it and just build it.

-
Back