340 Water Pump/Power Steering Question

-

SGlez10

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Im working on the 340 in my 68 Barracuda and I’d like to put power steering but am having some trouble finding all the parts I’d need to make that happen. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations/pictures of your cars and what you did? Lining up the pulleys and all is a concern as well. Not sure where to start. All the help and advice is welcomed. If you need more info from me please ask. I’ll take pictures of what I’m working with

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like you already have the right pulleys. All you need is the PS pump and brackets. I can help you there. And a PS box which NAPA still sells rebuilt ones. You’ll have to change columns or at least the steering shaft.

Do you have pict
Looks like you already have the right pulleys. All you need is the PS pump and brackets. I can help you there. And a PS box which NAPA still sells rebuilt ones. You’ll have to change columns or at least the steering shaft.
of your set up? Do you have PS?

No the alternator is on the pass side. PS pump is on drivers side inner pulley is for alt. outer is for PS.

No the alternator is on the pass side. PS pump is on drivers side inner pulley is for alt. outer is for PS.
Ok after giving it some thought I’m swaying towards keeping it manual. There are a few other things have to be done before that so I’ll have to revisit the idea when we do a full mock up. Thanks guys.

Whatever you do try and hang onto that water pump. Have it rebuilt if need be. On the new ones the bosses for alternator arent the same and ya gotta grind and deal with bs.
Ok after giving it some thought I’m swaying towards keeping it manual. There are a few other things have to be done before that so I’ll have to revisit the idea when we do a full mock up. Thanks guys.

Yeah I went through this assembling mine years back. There is a cast iron and an aluminum water pump. My setup ,pulleys etc work with the aluminum pump. I had bolted on the cast iron one, found out the pulleys etc didnt work, had to swap to aluminum. Fun :)

Yeah I went through this assembling mine years back. There is a cast iron and an aluminum water pump. My setup ,pulleys etc work with the aluminum pump. I had bolted on the cast iron one, found out the pulleys etc didnt work, had to swap to aluminum. Fun :)
Aw man, that’s exactly what we’re dealing with now. I’m new to all this so I’m learning and being as patient as possible. Post some pictures of your finished work!

Aw man, that’s exactly what we’re dealing with now. I’m new to all this so I’m learning and being as patient as possible. Post some pictures of your finished work!
What do you have for a PS pump? Mine looks similar to the pics above except that I have a old "Federal" style PS Pump. The other type PS pump is "Saginaw" I am not 100 % sure, but I would think each one has its own brackets. So, say you have a federal Pump but you have saginaw PS brackets for example, it may not work.
FYI, Alternator is on the right ,PS pump is on the left. (Sitting in the drivers seat.)

Ok, original radiator= drivers side outlet cast iron. Aluminum pump= passenger side outlet and different radiator. So original radiator keep the cast iron pump. This is important even if you keep it manual. Also 68 timing cover has the timing scale on passenger side. So the pump outlet isnt in the way. 68 cover/radiator/cast pump go together. You can use a newer cover and still see the timing scale on the drivers side behind the pump. Not easy but doable. This has the cast iron pump and new cover with timing marks on driverside.

DAE3B4BB-A808-4782-BEF3-3FCF88F94AEF.jpeg

Aluminum pump is 3/4" longer, can be an issue with fan/ fan clutch and radiator clearance. The inlets for both radiator types are on the bottom.

LOL...going through this right now. That Federal pump had a different bolt orientation and location than the Saginaw pump. Even though it has a press on pulley, the Federal pump has a 5/8 shaft and the Saginaw has a 3/4 shaft. Getting a pulley with a 5/8 hole for a serpentine system seems near impossible so I just made a bushing in the lathe and stuck the pulley on.

-
Back