340 Wedge?

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
Here's another question I have no answer to....

What exactly is a 340 Wedge Duster, aside from the blacked out hood and the 45deg. Wedge sticker.

To the best of my knowledge only 511 of these were produced in 1971 (only).

The reason I'm asking is I can't find any special codes for this option.
All I can find is that it was the most powerfull 340 Duster, which was fitted with the Themoquad and the heavy duty A833 and the Hurst shifter, "J" heads with 2.02" valves.

I have this combination, aside from the "Wedge" hood sticker.

I love my Duster, wether it's a special or rare piece or not, it's very special to me. (20 year love afair ).

AFAIK, all 1971 Duster 340 packages, with the exception of options, used the same mechanicals. I believe that the production #s you list are for those that came with the 340 Wedge callouts on the hood. I think the code was V21 (Performance Hood Treatment).

As far as being special or rare, I would have to say that the 1971 version, with it's sharktooth grille and performance stripes, makes it one of the most desirable of Dusters, with or without the performance hood. Obviously after 20 years of ownership.. you agree to!

Actually all the small block LA engines are wedges.....I was looking to get a 318 Wedge hood decal made up for my car to go with the 318 quarter call-outs I have.

Thats just a hood decal, nothing different about Dusters that have the stocker.

That's what I've been finding myself, the V21 perfomance hood treatment seems to be the only thing, can't find anything different mechanically, aside from some articles I've read, that state "Wedge" Duster was the fastest and most powerfull Duster built with 511 total production.

Although I am aware that all "LA" engines are a Wedge design, I thought there might of been something different in the valve angle grind, cam lift/duration, etc...

Apparently not, seems like the sticker makes it go faster, LOL.

1972 Duster 340's had the 'shark tooth' grill also. The 1972 Dusters had the long tail lights where the 1970 and 1971's had the much shorter tail lights. Really only difference between them. The 1970 Duster didn't have the 'ridge' in the center of the trunk lid...I believe..I could be wrong on that. I do know that one of the early years didn't have that different deck lid (trunk). My 1972 Duster 340 does have the 'ridge' in the deck lid. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Terry

1972 Duster 340's had the 'shark tooth' grill also. The 1972 Dusters had the long tail lights where the 1970 and 1971's had the much shorter tail lights. Really only difference between them. The 1970 Duster didn't have the 'ridge' in the center of the trunk lid...I believe..I could be wrong on that. I do know that one of the early years didn't have that different deck lid (trunk). My 1972 Duster 340 does have the 'ridge' in the deck lid. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Terry

Your right., 70 Duster-(no centre ridge)

scan0005.jpg

Also in 1972, all the side marker lights changed to the externally mounted generic type that was used on many cars after that. In fact my 86 Laser XT has the same markers with the 72 model year embossed on them.

My project 71 Duster has no ridge on the original trunk, while my 72 Demon (project again) does.

I also seem to recall a 72 Petty Blue Duster I saw years back at a wrecker that had a different looking grill than the 70-71-72 Standard or 71-72 Sharktooth. I remember looking at it and thinking, what a unique grille. I seem to think it was a tin filled in type. It may have been off of something else, but the car was mainly intact, and all other trim (and longer tailights) were present. The frame was rotten, but I scored the decklid (with ridge) as an extra for my Demon.

70-71 Duster 340's had the rallye style dash where as the 72 had the standard dash.

Basically correct on trunk lids, 70 no ridge, 71 was a mixed bag, 72 should have the ridge. I have 2 71's an they have one each, ridge and without. The later built car has the ridge.

Also in 1972, all the side marker lights changed to the externally mounted generic type that was used on many cars after that. In fact my 86 Laser XT has the same markers with the 72 model year embossed on them.

My project 71 Duster has no ridge on the original trunk, while my 72 Demon (project again) does.

I also seem to recall a 72 Petty Blue Duster I saw years back at a wrecker that had a different looking grill than the 70-71-72 Standard or 71-72 Sharktooth. I remember looking at it and thinking, what a unique grille. I seem to think it was a tin filled in type. It may have been off of something else, but the car was mainly intact, and all other trim (and longer tailights) were present. The frame was rotten, but I scored the decklid (with ridge) as an extra for my Demon.

Tin filled type grill....Hummmm, I've heard of a few guy trying to see if the one like my 69 will fit on with some mods.

pic4.JPG

I think the cutoff was 71. The ridge in the center gives it a little extra as to not bend as much. This is true of the 72 and later Dusters, Demons, and I "think" Darts. The '72 models and later had the ridge on all of them. Of course, there's going to be a few out there that were built with earlier/later parts, and don't match this statement. (anyone know for sure about the Darts?)

The 1970 Duster didn't have the 'ridge' in the center of the trunk lid...I believe..I could be wrong on that. I do know that one of the early years didn't have that different deck lid (trunk). My 1972 Duster 340 does have the 'ridge' in the deck lid. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Terry

The 340 72's also had a lower comp. ratio, Thermoquad carb, electronic ignition, blue engine paint,and a one year only dual snorkle air cleaner with a " flapper " valve on the base. I think that all H.P. mopar engines in 72 had this air cleaner, not just 340's. Later ones had cast cranks as well. Oh, and the rallye centers were different as well. My ex- Demon 340 had a big snorkle scoop and metal emblems instead of decals as well as the std. guage cluster, ribbed trunk lid and the stick out side markers, and no Demon emblem on the tail panel just a dodge emblem on the trunklid. It was very original and was a mid year 72 with a cast crank. I still have a 71 340 Duster that is loaded with the 340 callout on the hood that is quite rough and missing a lot of parts. It's Curious Yellow, 4-speed, that I can't decide what to do with it so I keep it around just for reference until I find someone that is serious about restoring it. It also has the smooth trunk lid. I've seen late build date 71's with the ribbed trunk lid also. just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

Yes, I think its safe to assume that there were many changes that were made during the production years on these cars, so finding different parts would be determined by stock availability and running production changes, not just model year. Another interesting feature of the 72 Demons I've owned is the cardboard headboard.

69signetv8 - I spent alot of time searching for photos of the grille I saw, and you know, the 69 Valiant style on yours does look like the one I recall. The boneyard example certainly could have been swapped, although the rest of the car did not appear to have any modifications so I assumed (and you know...).

Of course, here in Canada, stranger things have happened. Just ask the Alberta boys about all them 71 340 Darts they got..lucky b%^$^ds!

Actually all the small block LA engines are wedges.....I was looking to get a 318 Wedge hood decal made up for my car to go with the 318 quarter call-outs I have.

I thought "Wedge" was what you got when you go into the 11's with a 318...or is that WEDGIE?
SERIOUSLY...Thanks for eveyone answering that question. I always wanted to know what that "decal" meant.....
It was Damned impressive, and I'm sure it scared the hell out of some GM and FoMoCo guys?!

-
Back