340 whiplash vs. voodoo vs. thumper

-

aaron68s

Reaction score
Hello im new to your forum. i have a basiclly stock forged crank 72 340. 9 to 1 CR, M1 intake 750dp, long tube headers, 4spd. which cam would you guys recommend? its going to have 410 gears as well, oh ya its a 72 duster, thanks Aaron

Well, I'm not a believer in the thumper line and I don't use them. But - considering Comp products in your post I'd go with these three in this order:
1. Comp - XE268H: It performs very well and can run a single spring (with damper) so the whole thing is "drop in. I personally own three of this cam family and have run more than 10 in customers' engines.
2. Huges - HEH1523AL: I'm not a fan of Hughes products. Not ebcause they don;t work - they do - but because they are best at marketing and self promotion, and worst at customer service. However - again, this cam uses a single spring with damper and the whole package is drop in. So it's #2. I don't think it will make any more power than the XE268.
3. Lunati - 10200703: This is slightly larger than the XE and IMO will make the most power. But - it requires dual valve springs per Lunati - so the heads need to be taken off and the guides and spring seats cut for them. They also tend to be a little more pricey. So it's #3 on the list.

Any of these cams should make around 350hp in the package you have, the Lunati might make a little more depending.

Welcome to the site Aaron.

With a 4spd and the 4.10 gear you have plenty of options. There are several grinds from all three that can work for you. The limiting factor may come down to the rocker gear you're using and whether the heads have ever been worked for a larger spring then stock? Also, what is your intended use, street only, street/strip or mainly strip with limited street use?

thanks for the input guys, Its going to be mainly street car, i will take it to the strip though, im not afraid to run it hard, if it breaks we fix it right? LOL. i am probably going to upgrade the valvetrain while i have it apart.

If its "the sound" your after the whiplash was suppose to be designed for having that lumpy idle in a low compression engine with out killing torque.

i love the lumpy radical sound, but i also love performance. what about a mechanical flat tappet?

i love the lumpy radical sound, but i also love performance. what about a mechanical flat tappet?

I like to use split duration cams with stock exhaust ports and you don't want to get too wild with int duration @.050 because of the low/medium compression. I'll offer one of many possible choices just to get the ball rolling on a solid grind :D........

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K20-230-4/

I'll also throw out the idea that a 1.6 rocker ratio may be of some benefit since you will need adjustables anyway. Valve spring substitution may or may not need to be addressed if the 1.6 are used though.

I like Comp Cams, and run the XE268 in my 360. The car runs very well with it.
Having said that,I think with your setup,I would bump up to the XE274.
Give Comp Cams a call and ask them what they think. Be ready to give them all the information on your car(motor,carb,gears,4spd,tire size,weight,ect)I bet they chose the XE274. Let us know what you decide.

ok i have a few more questions on my 340, found an intake for free its an edelbrock performer 318/360 (what it says on top) will that even work on my 340?

If your putting a performer on a 340/360 I'd gasket match the ports there smaller than 340/360 ports to be able to work on 318 also. On a performance engine supposedly makes 20hp by gasket matching.

The 318/360 is the 318 sized port opening. I run one on my truck's 360 as it's good for response on it. It will work fine on the 340, but if max power potential is the goal, a better choice would be the 340/360 RPM or and Air Gap.

-
Back