340 with 6 pack price.

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I was talking to a young guy last night that was checking out my car at a gas station and we started talking. He has a camaro he wants painted. He already has the paint and supplies. Well, He told me he has a 340 6 pack sitting in the garage that was removed from a Dart that was scrapped. He said I could come by and check it out even if I don't want to paint his car. Now what would be a GOOD price for a rebuilt 68/69 340 with a complete six pack setup?

I was talking to a young guy last night that was checking out my car at a gas station and we started talking. He has a camaro he wants painted. He already has the paint and supplies. Well, He told me he has a 340 6 pack sitting in the garage that was removed from a Dart that was scrapped. He said I could come by and check it out even if I don't want to paint his car. Now what would be a GOOD price for a rebuilt 68/69 340 with a complete six pack setup?

The trip-carb setup is about a grand on ebay itself, the manifold another 500, and the air cleaner almost 400. Add to that the motor which, if running, should be about another grand, and you're looking at almost 3g for the motor?

I'd definitely check it out. Might be junk and it might be a gold mine. You just never know. It'd be really great if it's an original 340 6 pack engine from a AAR or T/A car that got put into the Dart. Them things are worth a fortune. 25 Yrs. ago people didn't think twice about swapping out engines like that.

if its original 340 6 pack with all the carbs probly 1500 one that needs a massive over haul with all the parts probly 800. anywhere from 400 to 2k if he was smart

Keep in mind that Darts never came with 340 6-packs from the factory. Adding the 6-pack to a 340 is an easy swap...and a common one in the late 70's/early 80's. It's highly unlikely that it is a T/A motor. But nevertheless, it is worth checking out. Be sure to run the #'s on the block (TA) and check for the offset pushrod setup on the heads.

I'd definitely check it out. Might be junk and it might be a gold mine. You just never know. It'd be really great if it's an original 340 6 pack engine from a AAR or T/A car that got put into the Dart. Them things are worth a fortune. 25 Yrs. ago people didn't think twice about swapping out engines like that.
Just a quick sidenote: Back in the very early '70s, I broke the lifter webbing area of my 340 block by doing a bonehead move (I'll leave that for another story) and needed a replacement block. I was in the same National Guard unit as Keith Black's son and asked him what he could do for me on a bare block as all the Dodge dealers in SoCal would only quote me a short block. I went down to KB's shop in South Gate and they had 340TA blocks (the good ones with the high-nickel content iron and the thick pan rails) stacked up like cordwood. He just said "pick the one you want". Wish I still had that block...but it went with the Dart when I sold it some years later -- another bonehead move.

Man them were the days. Heck I can remember being able to buy a good running 440 magnum or 340 for $100 at the local junkyard 2 miles from me. And A-body 8-3/4 rearends with a sure-grip went for $75. If we would have only known to hoard them up we'd be sitting on a gold mine now.

-
Back