-

Beeman demon

Reaction score
I'm building a 71 340 with L2316 speed pro pistons j heads 202-160 valves 508 purple shaft cam and super victor intake, msd ignition and headers. Has anyone dynoed a motor similar to this build? What hp should this combo build

Mines a 360 that is a little close I would guess if the heads are good somewhere in the 380 to 400hp range.

Cam is on the small side maybe 330 h.p.///..of coarse if you put it on a dyno with someone who knows how to "fudge" the numbers you can get the dyno to read just about what ever you want,only real test for knowing true h.p. is take it to the track and run it..

Yeah thats what they say,but thats not what I measured mine at. I didnt like it on the street. Lack of torque on the bottom in a stick car, and the power was way, way, at the top. Might be just fine for a track car, and DEEP gears.And probably better in an auto car. They warned me it was too big, but did I listen? nooo. I had to learn. Thankfully a guy came along and made me an offer I couldnt refuse.
Beeman, I hope thats primarily a track car.

I'm familiar with that cam, and as said earlier, it tends to be real soft down low without some "extra" advance. That cam, along with the intake, will make most of it's juice above 4000 rpm's.

I have no dyno numbers for you, but one E body I recall with almost the same combo.....70' 340, the .508 & a Tarantula intake, went 12.70's @ 108. At 3500 lbs, that equates to 340/350 real hp. Oh, and that was close to sea level with a stall speed in the high 3's & 5.13 gears.

Isn't that the big old purple cam with like 248 @ .050???????

Yep, in a decent build with the cam installed advanced, plenty of converter/gear and hooking well it's an 11 second mill at 3200#

340 with a xe268H will make 340ish hp. That 508 cam is a LOT bigger!

-
Back