340ci vs 360ci engine

-
... Well i've been thinking and I might look into buying a Charger without a motor. I've found 3 of the and the bodies are good. They all were around 1200. They all were 318's. If I could buy one of them I could buy a 360 then put that in there right? racekilla is that a cuda? What year and make is it I like the look of it!

its a 68 plymouth fastback formula s barracuda. go to the video gallery and photo gallery and you can check it out.

Nice burn out and cool car! Well I started to look for a 73 Charger Rallye 340. I saw a ok condition one go for 2200. Engine was stock. So maybe I'll get what I really badly want! A 1973 Dodge Charger Rallye 340...

Well I started to think smarter economically wise and decided to buy a nice 318 Charger SE then put a 360 in unless I find a stock 340 cheap... So i think i'll buy the 360. Any Ideas about hp or gas milage parts/builds?

Scratch what I said. I found a stock 340 Rallye (73) and Im just wondering what the gas milage is? If I get it I plan on doing a mild build because I dont need ALOT of power right now because well... I cant really use it. And it will kill gas milage too. And gas aint cheap. And I gotta pay for it too... If the 340 rallye falls through then i also found a 360 SE. I also with I had a A body cuda (73 or 74) Love them too... But they cost too much.

dont know how bushed rods makes an engine rev faster...weight of the pistons, rods and cranks usually determines how fast an engine can rev...called physics...

360 pistons are lighter then 340 in stock form...by over 100 gram...x 8 is 800 grams...which is almost 2 pounds...they use the same rods...and the 360 crank is lighter since it is cast..and balanced for a liter pistons...

in fact 360 pistons will always be lighter then a 340 due to the compression height of the pistons with the 360 having a longer stroke and both engines using the same deck height blocks.

take a 5 pound hammer and swing it...and take a 2 pound hammer and swing it....which one swings faster???? 2 pounds.....physics...

Yeah but the aftermarket 340 pistons and 360 are lighter than stock. Yes the 360 pistons-same brand, type--will be a bit lighter but that is due to a shorter skirt. Shorter skirts pistons rock more in the bores and that effects ring sealing. When everything is spanking brand new its no big deal, everything seals perfect in both motors. As they age it starts showing up.

High rpm's increase the wear. Longer strokes increases the piston speeds.

At 50,000 miles which motor has less wear, the 340 and the pistons will be rocking less in its bores.

360's lasted so long in stock forms cause they were not to be revved to 6,000+ rpm like the 340's were. Many maybe hardly seen 5,000 rpm's

Yeah a good rebuilt 360 will last a very long time. Today 3.5 stroke isn't much. Parts are machined better, pistons are made better. The weight has come down also.

360's are cheaper to rebuild and find and do make more sense to build up I will admit. I'm dumb, I built a 340, lol

Well I might be restoring a 340 car... So I mean what should I do when I get it? Oh and if the 340 falls through Im gunna get a 360 car.

Sorry I ment with parts and stuff. I think Im gunna have to rebuild the engine so good parts I should use and stuff.

Well the 340 can be limited on pistons compare to the 360. I needed a .040 over piston and went hyper even thou I wanted forged cause a custom piston would had been too much$.

I paid $250 for the kb hypers and for $4??, was it $450? I could had gotten kb forged in a 360 and and in any size up to .070 over.

I also got a $500 10 inch tci torque converter to make up for the lost torque a 360 would have gave.

360 are the cheapest to rebuild. A forged 360 crank would be $750 compare to a use 340 forged crank--if you can find one in good shape.

-
Back