340ci vs 360ci engine

-

AxelsMopar

WolfiesDuster
Reaction score
Which is better the 340 or the 360? I want to know which is better based on preformance. Gas milage is important but I really do care more about preformance first, mpg second. A BB swap would cost alot more if I bought a small block mopar... So I kinda want to know so I can save money!

In stock form 340 rules..modified depending on who builds it can be either one..

360 is readily available and makes alright power in stock form and is known for longevity and alot of miles can be put on them before a rebuild

A lot of people on here are going to tell you to go with a 360 because it will end up being cheaper. Pretty much any part you need well interchange between the two, but a good condition 360 block can normally be picked up for far less than a 340 block.

I currently have a 340 in the shop for my 69 Dart because, while it didn't originally come with a 340, it was a factory option, the 360 wasn't.

I would say look around locally and see what you can pick up. If you aren't in a rush, you can usually get a good deal on a good condition block.

Ok that makes sence! So if I had a choice between a 340 or a 360 and the were the same price and pretty much the same location which one should I get if this ever happened???

Personnally, if they were both in the same condition and everything, I'd go for the 340.

If everything were the same, I'd go for the 340 as well, but I've never seen a usable 340 go for less than a premium price. 360's are cheap and plentiful and have 20 more cubes than the 340. There is no replacement for displacement. If performance truly is what matters, build a stroker motor using the 360 as a base. It won't be cheap.

Actually I'd say starting with a 93 or newer 360 block is the best of all. It just has 20 years of improvements compared to the 340. I'd keep the magnum heads and serpentine belt setup too adding an electric feul pump. Then use the Professional Products Air Gap 4-bbl manifold. Get an aftermarket roller cam and have the heads ported some. Should be able to make 400 hp cheaper then any other way.

I would go for 340 as well if that ever happened, but the only affordable 340 I have ever seen was 1200 for just a block

Well for what I have plans on doing when I buy my project mopar I plan on doing daily driving and maybe a little racing! But other than that i'd like something that has power and some speed for fun time if you know what I mean. But I still want a smooth ride for normal driving.

Oops I forgot to say when im done fixing it up I want to do that stuff! So Im trying to plan stuff out so if I buy a 318 I can take that out sell it and then put a 360 or 340 in. Im not sure if boring a 318 over to a 360 or 340 would be worth it but I really dont know!

I would go for 340 as well if that ever happened, but the only affordable 340 I have ever seen was 1200 for just a block

Huh...i just sold a 340 block last year for $450..and have seen a few others for the same price..

Oops I forgot to say when im done fixing it up I want to do that stuff! So Im trying to plan stuff out so if I buy a 318 I can take that out sell it and then put a 360 or 340 in. Im not sure if boring a 318 over to a 360 or 340 would be worth it but I really dont know!

Get a 360 then, cheap and abundant. You can't bore a 318 out to a 360 or 340. Max bore if you have a good block is probably going to be 3.97, a stock 360 is 4.00 and a stock 340 (good luck finding one of them used) is 4.04.

That makes the stock stroke .060 over 318 327.7856 or 328 cid

You could cut down a 360 cranks main journals or buy an aftermarket 3.58 stroke crank (or 4.00 for that matter) and get 354.5 or 355 or with the 4.00" stroke crank 396.11 or 397 cid. I round up because NHRA considers any part of a cubic inch to be a cubic inch even if it's 0.002

Huh...i just sold a 340 block last year for $450..and have seen a few others for the same price..

well around my area they aren't nessarily cheap, nor easy to find the heads are whats the killer when it comes to price, 68 is one of the better years for power in the 340 so I hear

I have 2 70 340's, one in the 70 Duster. If I every get a job again, I will put a 408 in the Duster, and sell the 340's when I retire, because of the value.

i would take the 340 for the usage i want. but for your usage and budget (which i am guessing by your signature) you would be better off with the 360

Ok that makes sence! So if I had a choice between a 340 or a 360 and the were the same price and pretty much the same location which one should I get if this ever happened???

i would buy the 340. then sell the 340 to a numbers guy for a nice little profit then go buy the 360 and have spare money around for more stuff. :)

Well I kinda figured that I couldnt do that so I guess I was right haha. So 360 well I know 2 other people that have 360s that they modded so I'll see what they say about it. So do I need to buy a new rear? Put a BB rear in or can I keep the SB rear then put the BB rear in after I get the car drivable?

Well I kinda figured that I couldnt do that so I guess I was right haha. So 360 well I know 2 other people that have 360s that they modded so I'll see what they say about it. So do I need to buy a new rear? Put a BB rear in or can I keep the SB rear then put the BB rear in after I get the car drivable?

what rear is in it now? if a 7 1/4 then yes i would put atleast a 8 1/4 in that baby but i really prefer a 8 3/4

Stock 340`s are excellent performers and gas milage is ok for what they are. My experience with durability has been -- 73 road runner at 73,000 miles blew a head gasket. At that time add a quart of oil at 800 miles.This car had been down the 1/4 close to 500 times by then; and most of the miles put on it at well over 100 mph. 70 AAR cuda 340-6 an even stronger performer. At 163,000 miles I had loaned it out and it came back with a broken rod and scratched cylinder. I have had a few 360 trucks that were not stock and performed good but were gas hogs. Also none had durability problems and were raced and driven hard too. I don`t recommend driving that way; but I don`t know how else to answer your questions. God bless you, Wayne

360 = best bang for the buck. But I love 340's and have found them for cheap.

-
Back