350 HP 318 Build

-
What I think is going on and why my experience is different is I live in an area that used to be a HUGE group of Mopar old timers that are unfortunately dying off and their kids are just giving away their hordes and projects.
They are probably doing that because the kids are probably into rice rockets. I think that the Fast and Furious movies messed up a lot of the younger generation with their impossible runs with full nitrous on those 4 bangers. I know that it's just a movie but I think that it really had a big impact on the younger generation

I wish I could find a barn find. Where I live people don't talk much about what they have. Those type of findings are extremely rare as they are not advertised. Craigslist is pretty much dried up and it's pretty much the same cars on Facebook day after day.

High prices are just online Gasslighting, talk to local car club guys IN PERSON... You can buy Edelbrock SBM heads locally for less than a set of rebuilt magnums online. It's not hard to find a set for free.
In the past year I've picked up
a free 318 with edelbrock heads, intake and carb, jegs billet dizzy that had a spun rod.
2 complete,running, stock 5.9 magnums/904's and
2 complete RV 440's/727's for free locally one ran and had 40,000 miles on it before I pulled it.
A free bugcatcher scoop,
free SBM edelbrock 318 intake.
Free 750 Edebrock carb.
I was told that some of it was posted on Ebay for over a year and never sold and became garage clutter because of the rediculously high pricing they demanded that noone was willing to spend. I found all of it either posted on Craigslist in the free section or word of mouth.
There is a LOT of Kool Aid with online pricing and availability. TALK to People and you'll find deals.
I've known people like that who get desirable stuff for free, but I am not one of the lucky ones... I only wish I could find any of what's on your list for that price let alone all of it...

Hey Dan
I don't know what part of mo you are in but we recently found ourselves needing a new to us daily, and after hunting locally for a while for what the wife wanted (another Durango like she's had for the past 10+ years) we found the one we ended up with in Hazelwood just NW of St Louis very clean, though we did have to drive 4 hours away to find it and our original one was "this nice" 10 years ago and we paid $2200. The day before this past veterans Day we had to cough up $3500 for the same thing........ I wasn't happy about that with them being 10 years older than they were then, but I wasn't setting for a rust bucket. The 01 wasn't then and still isn't. The new one is an 03, the original one is a 01, but they're out there. I'm sure there's a nice a body not far from there available for the same price.
Just like when we bought the 01 this one needs tires, which are more than double what they were then/ and while I had to rebuild the front end on that one 10 years ago, this one has been done already by the PO/ but does have a cracked windshield I have to change. You're not gonna find one that's been kept in a bubble since it was new anymore....

They are probably doing that because the kids are probably into rice rockets. I think that the Fast and Furious movies messed up a lot of the younger generation with their impossible runs with full nitrous on those 4 bangers. I know that it's just a movie but I think that it really had a big impact on the younger generation
dont hate on them lil 4 bangers, ol boy darrel cox built a Dodge Neon SRT-4. 7.90e.t.@188mph

1703031794894.png

Sp you can justify an $11k 350 hp 318, but can't justify spending $15-20k on a good car? :lol: :poke:
I can't and won't justify $11k 350hp 318. But I think that with careful parts selection and shopping of parts along with detailed assembly that I could build a 350 hp 318 for about half of what they are charging.

I can't and won't justify $11k 350hp 318. But I think that with careful parts selection and shopping of parts along with detailed assembly that I could build a 350 hp 318 for about half of what they are charging.
if you're starting from zero-- like, you need to buy a motor levels of starting this endeavor and you did everything yourself save the machine work, and spent judiciously on sales, used and reconditioned items then maybe you could get it all together for 4~5K

if you're starting from zero-- like, you need to buy a motor levels of starting this endeavor and you did everything yourself save the machine work, and spent judiciously on sales, used and reconditioned items then maybe you could get it all together for 4~5K
That's what I was thinking. I know that quality costs, but 11k is ridiculous.

318willrun built a 318 he had for like 550 bucks that run 14s in a abody with highway gears probably close to 300 hp, im sure prices lil higher now and might need a couple more hundred to reach a full 350 hp but its doabile on a budget,...1000 bucks plus a core,..for sure!!

That's what I was thinking. I know that quality costs, but 11k is ridiculous.
11K only seems ridiculous, but it's not at all when you factor in the associated costs. we already established that it's probably about 6K or so in parts, but then add to that things like: sourcing a suitable block, procuring that cuz i dunno maybe you have to drive somewhere to get it and that's time and gas, then disassembly and cleaning of that so there's more time and money on cleaning supplies, then the machine work so there's time and gas to take it over there and bring it back.

an none of those are fixed costs. if you were doing it yourself, what if you had to make another trip to the machine shop? so there's a day or a half a day off work and your gas to get over there and back-- what's that work out to?

then you have the actual labor for assembly. oh, and don't forget all the lube and sealants you'll need. and new fasteners, cuz you can't be charging that kind of dough and putting tatty old stuff back on. kick down probably $20 for paint too. just in that little prettying it up you've probably got $200 worth of BS, throw some nice valve covers and an air cleaner at it and you're looking at more like 5 bones easy.

if you sit down and do the nitty-gritty maths 11K adds up quickly.

could i build a 350hp 318 for sub 5k? yes.
could i build a 350hp 318 for sub 5K and still buy fancy feast for my boys and put gas in my truck? no, probably not.

11K only seems ridiculous, but it's not at all when you factor in the associated costs. we already established that it's probably about 6K or so in parts, but then add to that things like: sourcing a suitable block, procuring that cuz i dunno maybe you have to drive somewhere to get it and that's time and gas, then disassembly and cleaning of that so there's more time and money on cleaning supplies, then the machine work so there's time and gas to take it over there and bring it back.

an none of those are fixed costs. if you were doing it yourself, what if you had to make another trip to the machine shop? so there's a day or a half a day off work and your gas to get over there and back-- what's that work out to?

then you have the actual labor for assembly. oh, and don't forget all the lube and sealants you'll need. and new fasteners, cuz you can't be charging that kind of dough and putting tatty old stuff back on. kick down probably $20 for paint too. just in that little prettying it up you've probably got $200 worth of BS, throw some nice valve covers and an air cleaner at it and you're looking at more like 5 bones easy.

if you sit down and do the nitty-gritty maths 11K adds up quickly.

could i build a 350hp 318 for sub 5k? yes.
could i build a 350hp 318 for sub 5K and still buy fancy feast for my boys and put gas in my truck? no, probably not.
I bet that it would add up rather quickly. I understand what you're saying, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have to make more than one trip to the machine shop, assembly I can do myself that hopefully would save a few bucks. Things are expensive these days that's for sure.

Don't forget to factor in that the guys in business, presumably to make some level of profit. Tough line of work for sure.

Let's assume he's buying everything, fully machined, for $5k. Also assuming he's got 30 hours actual build time. Figure overhead costs 30%

So $2k in overhead, 4k in labor assuming it's a one man operation. That's $133/hr for assembly. Definitely high, but not crazy high. If he's paying folks to do that now he's splitting that 133/HR and it's not much.

Let's assume he's buying everything, fully machined, for $5k. Also assuming he's got 30 hours actual build time. Figure overhead costs 30%

So $2k in overhead, 4k in labor assuming it's a one man operation. That's $133/hr for assembly. Definitely high, but not crazy high. If he's paying folks to do that now he's splitting that 133/HR and it's not much.
$133/HR for assembly is crazy high if it's a one man operation. Half of $133 is $66.50 a hour.

I Know that engine assembly is time consuming, especially if you check/ adjust ring end gap, bearing clearance, crank and camshaft endplay, push rod length. A good friend of mine took like 20+ hours to assemble his engine but he blue printed the oil pump plus everything above.

$133/HR for assembly is crazy high if it's a one man operation. Half of $133 is $66.50 a hour.
standard shop rates in my area are 100~125 an hour, so for specialty work that's not insanity or out side of the realm of reality.

hourly rate should not be a reflection of how many people your operation is. i don't see a correlation for that.

standard shop rates in my area are 100~125 an hour, so for specialty work that's not insanity or out side of the realm of reality.

hourly rate should not be a reflection of how many people your operation is. i don't see a correlation for that.
When you're a one man operation, the billable hours only have to cover your time, materials and expenses. If you have more than one person operating in different capacities (sales, shipping, warranty, etc) now those same hours have to pay more peoples' paychecks. The rate has to go up to cover that.

When you're a one man operation, the billable hours only have to cover your time, materials and expenses. If you have more than one person operating in different capacities (sales, shipping, warranty, etc) now those same hours have to pay more peoples' paychecks. The rate has to go up to cover that.
That's not necessarily true, one man operation only has one to make a living off of and if he's got low overhead he may decide to charge less than the competition for an advantage but if he is already fairly busy he wouldn't need to and would be silly to if in high demand.

If talking a shop with multiple employees the employer generally only needs to make a smaller percentage off each since his income is based off many, Eg.. Walmart has like a 2 million employees so on average if they can make a net profit of $500 for every employee Walmart will have a billion in net profits and they had a net profit of $13.6 billion last year or about $ 6,800 average off each employee. Generally the more employees you got the less you need to make off each.

I'm going to see what the rates are in my area

when my brother was building nascar engines for joey arrington he was making round 23 bucks a hour, no telling what joey was charging!! most builders round here get close to 5 grand to build one them crate motors or a limited late model stuff,..ant no body around here that builds street motors, few drag race builders but thay higher that the circle track crowd!

-
Back