Status
Not open for further replies.

MJD323

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey,

I am looking for a 3-3500 converter for a 904 non lockup. I recently finished the build on a 418 and need a converter before putting the car back together.

If you have one that you could part with, used/new, whatever, please send me a PM and what you would like to get for it.

Thanks

Call PTC, Coan, Cope, Turbo Action, get it cut to fit, none of this cheap B&M off the shelf business will cut it.

Converter is the most important part of your combo, read up on this topic, please!

Thanks PoisonDart. And believe me, I have researched this topic until I am blue in the face. You are right about the better converters being the way to go, but with two kids in daycare a $700 converter that requires a special flexplate is just not in the cards. I have contacted 3 of the 4 that you mentioned.

Was hoping to find a good used piece that maybe someone was not using any longer.

$700? Bigdummy just got a 9.5" new from PTC for $475.

I don't mean to be harsh, save up until you do have enough, it's that big of a deal. Where did you find the dough to build a 418? Time and time again, people toss together super awesome engines, then sell it short on the converter. Shot in the foot. Wish you luck in the hunt, please don't give up, this is more important than the engine.

I was going off of the latest quote I just received from Coan for 649.99 for the converter and then he mentioned it requiring a special flex plate.

The 418 was finished before the second child was in daycare, that kind of dried up the extra funds afterwards.

I will contact PTC and request a quote.

Thanks

Sorry to be nosy, I hope it all works out.

GOPNH.com is another one that might yeild results. They make good stuff, for inexpensive prices.

If you end up having a converter made anyway, something worth asking about especially since your running good power; these older converters can have that pesky cracked hub, you can use the the newer 93+ flat hub pump and gears, swapped straight on the older rear half of the pump, stator/reaction shaft. You can get the parts cheap from wittrans.com.

PS: Found a link that might be helpful in your search:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?5741-Dynamic-or-PTC-Converter-Help-Me-Decide

Took your advice and saved up PosionDart. Went with a PTC 9.5, just put it in the car and will be putting the rest together in the next few weeks.

how do you dyno a convertor? I got a Hughes thats supposed to be 2800 but Im not sure of it.

Sweet, running with a similar stall, I've cruised several mountain passes in overdrive only stretching 500 rpm over cruise and have a bunch of miles on it, hasn't miss a beat... Hope your as glad as I am with your PTC. :burnout:

I think you made a good choice. True, converters aren't cheap but compare them to rebuilding an engine for performance and they really are cheap.

how do you dyno a convertor? I got a Hughes thats supposed to be 2800 but Im not sure of it.

You don't. Torque input directly affects what it'll stall. Any rating of a off the shelf converter is BS in my opinion. A long time ago I put a 2500 Hughes behind a stout running 440 in a buddies Challenger. Even the torquey 440 can only get 23-2400 flash out of it. It's a good converter but I don't know what their using to spec them with. Must be a 500 inch big block

My apologies to the OP for getting off track

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back