360-1 on 48 deg. block

-

Rt1976

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone running Indy 360-1's on a std. deck 48 deg. block? If so does the intake need to be machined to clear the pushrods? Any pics would be appreciated.

The reason I ask is I wanted to modify a 3 piece mechanical injection manifold from a w-9 to fit the Indy head. I have the 360-1 gaskets and the ports line up I just need to slot the bolt holes a little.

I know I'll have to fab a valley plate. I called Indy and they wont sell me the heads w/o an intake.

How are you supposed to replace a wrecked/ broke/ cracked head if they won't sell the heads? Marvelous

Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having a hard time picturing why you'd need to machine the intake to clear the pushrods- they come up through the heads...?

I guess I should have told her I had an Indy intake. I called and just wanted a set of bare un-ported heads set up for 48 deg. She told me they usually don't sell them that way and needed to get me a price. When she got back to me said they couldn't sell them w/o an intake. Oh well

I believe when they set them up to clearance the pushrod it notches the intake mounting flange on the head, not sure on the intake that's why I was hoping for some pictures.

Yes you will likely need to clearance the heads for pushrods when using a 48 degree block due to the lifters being angled differently. The lifter spacing side to side I believe is also different on the 48 degree blocks so watch for side to side clearance as well.

Pictures below shows a W2 48 degree head with the port face machining for pushrod clearance needed for the 48 degree block.

P1060727.JPG
P1060731.JPG

Last edited:
Yes you will likely need to clearance the heads for pushrods when using a 48 degree block due to the lifters being angled differently. The lifter spacing side to side I believe is also different on the 48 degree blocks so watch for side to side clearance as well.

Pictures below shows a W2 48 degree head with the port face machining for pushrod clearance needed for the 48 degree block.

View attachment 1715816218 View attachment 1715816219

Rocket - thanks that's what I thought for the heads but does the intake need to be modified in anyway?

Rocket - thanks that's what I thought for the heads but does the intake need to be modified in anyway?
That's gonna depend on the deck height of the block. There were at least 3 different deck heights available in the R blocks if I recall correctly

If i am not mistaken, think they offered the Indy head in a 48 degree version. At least at one time

If i am not mistaken, think they offered the Indy head in a 48 degree version. At least at one time
Yeah at one time they offered it in 59 degree and 48 degree versions. I don’t recall having to clearance much off the intake on a 9.6 block 48 degree deal. Using the Edelbrock Victor heads, I had to clearance the heads for the pushrods but no clearancing needed on the intake.

Building a 650hp street strip 440.....

-
Back