360 60' pop or stumble

-

540demon

Reaction score
Im seriously starting to question my mechanical abilities because of this damn car. It has a stumble when hooked up on the track. When on a regular road it spins and zero pop...when it hooks it either pops or bogs depending on the jet. Ive changed carbs 3 times, distributors twice, plugs/wires/cap/rotor 4 times, went from mechanical to elec fuel pump, added an air filter, tested compression, changed ballast resistor/ign boxes 3 times before going to a msd 6a, i dunno what the hell else to try. The first two passes outta the trailer it works great-then it starts its crap.
Last night i set the timing "by ear" and the stumble/pop bog went away-but it completely destroyed the car's ability to react (.600's on a .500 tree). With the timing at 32 or 34* total those lights woulda been .02ish...but woulda popped....wth am i missing here?

It sounds like something is not working properly when the car is warm.

What kind of ignition do you have? Electronic? Did you set the reluctor gap to .007" - .008"?

have you checked the accelerator pump on the carb?,,,,

the car hooking put more load on the engine..unless you are a mile off the jetting is not going to cause it to stumble or pop...

what carb are you using....and the same thing with the timing...

what distributor are you using?......how fast is the advance curve?,,,,initial timing?

have you checked the pick up coil to reluctor gap in the distributor?

Well-i pulled my (reman junk) electronic dist yesterday to find a worn shaft bushing. This has allowed the pickup to hit the reluctor everytime it spins by.
Im certainly hoping this was the issue-thanks for the input guys!

-
Back