360 671 blower radiator/fan combo

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
im looking for a bit more information on a rad/elec. fan combo for my blower build. I purchased a 90's Chrysler rad/fan (cheap from wrecker) to start mocking my build for clearance. What I learnt is that a 3" blower belt will not clear this combo. I'm looking for info. on what others have used for a rad/fan on a 360 in the past.

thanks

What about minor differences from different application? How different is a 360 truck puppy set up from a 318/340 passenger car? Just thinking out loud...

I believe older 360 van setups use a different water pump. I could be wrong on that.

The only waster pump differences I have ever encountered are between the engine series.
AKA Poly, LA early, LA late, Magnum.
The early LA & Poly have shorter water pumps with the bottom on the opposite side.

I run a 26" 4-Core E-Body Aluminum Champion Radiator in my 6-71 Blown 340 Duster, with a 1965 273 Barracuda 4-Blade Fan between the Blower Belt and Radiator (It's TIGHT but works).

I added a pair of slim Electric Fans in front of the A/C Condenser, to help keep the engine a reasonable temperature when running in Stop & Go Traffic, or when I'm running the A/C in town.

We had to use a 2 inch blower belt with our 28 inch rad , dual spal fans and electric water pump because a 3 inch belt would clear on our small block duster.

I don't know what happened to my reply but I can't see it. So here goes again.

I had to cut the upper rad support out wide enough to let the radiator move forward to where the tabs on the side of the radiator would mount directly to the remaining rad support. I think there is a pic of it in my blower build thread. The rest of the fitting was accomplished using spacers on the blower snout and crank pulley. My blower came with a chevy snout so there was some head scratching and figuring to be done which included reversing the upper pulley.

Jack

I've used different, deeper (3.5") water pump pulley from an International Harvester. The pilot hole was correct and the bolt pattern required minor changes. It brings the water pump belt closer to the block, IDK how much blower belt clearance you are short of. Every little bit helps. There are also 3/4" and center offset blower pulleys. Careful snout planning and a mix and match of pulleys might help you out.

Don't know how much more room you need but the dual contour fans is thinner than the chrysler dual electric fan. I am using the contour fans on the champion 26" radiator, had to modify my upper core support slightly, this allowed me to move my radiator far enough forward that I have about 1/4" clearance between belt and fan motor, still using a 3" belt.

Built a 71 Demon for a friend of mine in 1997 . He used a 8/71 on a 440 . The back of the blower hit the wiper motor housing , changed to a Multi speed assembly and filled it down to clear it . We cut the radiator brace and moved the 4 flu Griffen radiator far enough forward to clear the 2 electric fans and the blower belt with room to spare . The pic in the middle shows the forward movement of the radiator .
demon 001.jpg

demon 001.jpg

-
Back