360/727 torque converter issue

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
I have a 360/727 from a motor home (1972). There has always been an issue the the car will not coast fast at all. It will quickly slow down even while going downhill. If I put the trans in neutral then the car will coast and even gain speed downhill. I want it to do this while in gear and I figure it must be a somewhat idle stall torque converter that may have came with the motor home. (thats my theory) I seem to use just as much gas going uphills as I do going downhills (same throttle pressure). The trans shifts smooth and I have never had an issue with it. What can I do to solve this. Maybe its torque converter? If so what stall should I get? Thank You for your time!!

Frankly I think you are chasin thin air

I would think that ANY compression braking you get in a motor home would be welcome, IE save the brakes

In many states "neutral coasting" is illegal.

If you ABSOLUTELY think you have to do this, just kick the trans into neutral.

It's most likely a low stall converter since it's out of a motorhome but what rear gears are in the car and how tall are the tires? If it's a low geared rearend, especially with short tires, it'll never cost fast down hill unless you have a real loose converter. As 67 said I'd think saving the brakes would be a plus. You can always modulate the throttle to ease the slowing. If the rear gears are std. hwy. gears that the car came with and you still want to loosen things up the converter can be swapped out to a looser unit. How loose is up to you. If the engine is stock a standard high stall car unit (approx. 2200 rpm) would be plenty loose I'd think.

-
Back