360 build questions.....

-

70-duster

Reaction score
I just bought a 1979 360 that was rebuilt. It is bored .030 over, but other than that it is completely stock with new components. It does have the stock 4 barrel intake. I just bought a edelbrock 625cfm carb but I am considering changing the intake to a rpm performer or air gap. I also want to change the cam to a more agressive cam. What would be the best cam and intake for my 360, with either a stock converter or a 2400 stall, and for now an open 8.25 rearend? The car will be driven in cruise nights and car shows, but I do want it to sound good. Any help would be great. I was leaning towards a "Blue Racer" cam .464 lift/292 duration?

I would use that cam cut up into small pieces for fishing weights. That is just my opinion.

First up, the size of the rear is fine for what you state use is for, but the gear ratio is more important to the combo along with tire size. Also, do you intend to change the converter? You suggest 2.

Headers?

Starting with the intake, the Air-Gap gets a bit cranky for use when it gets cold outside. The carb's choke will re-engage even after it warns up due to the cold air rushing past and down the carbs throat.

Second, the carb size is very street friendly but will limit cam selection to a smaller size. (This is not a bad thing.)

I'll "Assume" (Hate doing that) your compression is stock, AKA low and suggest this cam from Lunati; http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1543&gid=287

And this cam for increased compression (9.0-1 or better) and the 2400 stall converter you mention; http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1546&gid=287

The gear ratio is stock and I am not sure what it is. I would like to put a suregrip in it, but can't afford it right now. As far as the tires, they will be either stock 14 or 15 inch rallyes. I was going to use the stock converter (maybe a 240 stall down the road), and just stick with the stock exhaust manifolds. The compression is stock, maybe slightly above. My girlfriend will be driving this car to car shows. I'm not worried about it being really fast, but would like to do a little to it.

Are you gonna change the gear out when you make the changes to the engine? It does not sound like it. In that case, the cam you are looking at is as bad of a mismatch as paring a gay man with Carmen Electra. I would recommend this since it sounds like you're on a budget.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K6901/

That is similar in grind to the factory 340 camshaft and will be a good step above stock and not kill your pocketbook. For best results though, you will want to upgrade to the proper valve springs as well. That camshaft will match what you have much better than that junkola you're lookin at.

The gear ratio is stock and I am not sure what it is.
Probably a 2.76. Since you don'tk now, this is what will be assumed. And that word is a problem.

I would like to put a suregrip in it, but can't afford it right now.
When the time comes......

As far as the tires, they will be either stock 14 or 15 inch rallyes.
This is a problem,I said tires, you mention rims size. There is a difference between tires and the wheels there on. Know the difference.

I was going to use the stock converter (maybe a 240 stall down the road),

Then go with the cam Strokerscamp left a link on. (Nice cam bob.)

and just stick with the stock exhaust manifolds.
Dual exhaust off the manifolds?

The compression is stock, maybe slightly above
For what year 318? Are we sure about stock replacement pistons?

My girlfriend will be driving this car to car shows. I'm not worried about it being really fast, but would like to do a little to it.

The use the cam stroker linked and install a Performer 4bbl. intake, a 600 cfm carb, use dual exhaust. It'll scoot pretty good. What ever wheel you use, 14 or 15 inch wheel's also known as rims, the tire (Rubber thing) should be stock sized. Going wider is OK, but not taller.

I do know the difference between wheel and tire, but typed it wrong. I will be going with whatever stock tire for a rallye wheel, either a 14 or 15, haven't bought them yet. As far as the manifolds, I wouldn't waste my time running the 2 together, it will have true duals. You mentioned a 318? This setup is for a 360, not a 318.

UGH! (Bangs head on desk) Yes, 360, sorry, (Ugh again) There mostly all low compression engines. It'll Perform nicely with a small cam. I mentioned 318 probably,mostly due to that cams duration (216) was a duration on the last cam I used, in a 318 stock engine minus bolt on's.

The build was 216/228-.454/.480-112 in a low comp. 318 in a Duster backed by a 904 and 3.21 gears in a 8-1/4 with stock tires (?225/70/14's) and a sure grip equipped rear end.
The engine also got a LD4B, 600 AFB (Also tried a Holley 600/1860 converted, no real difference at this level) Hooker headers into a Jegs exhaust @ -2-1/2 inch's. Orange box ignition and a electric fan.

The package was nice. A good runner. Not blazing fast, but it had a positive pep factor. I ran it at ATCO southern N.J. on a cold Nov. day to 15.14 @ 89 mph. It was a bit rich. Lacked traction as I guess you could imagine. There was certainly high 14's in it, no doubt.

I'm for surely thinking that your 360 can run this easy enuff. ;) Same deal, minor bolt on's and a cam do wonders for the engines output. It'll make a good amount of torque. I suggested the Lunati cam (60404) for it's fast ramps, narrower centerline (Choppy idle) You could mill the heads some for a better compression ratio so it is not to soft down low. Increase the gear ratio to a 3.21/3.23 at a min. with the stock tire size. Headers would be a nice plus IMO, for this build.

Excellent, looking forward to the report .. and pictures.

Sorry, did you plan on headers?

-
Back