360 build questions

-

Swinging 72

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the boards here and have a few questions I hope I can get some input on. I'm planning a 360 build , I have KB Hyper pistons and a purple shaft cam 2992 w/ 280 duration and .474 lift and 340 X heads. Also a Strange S-60 rear with 3.73 gears.I'm in the process of rebuilding a six pack set up for it and was wondering what range torque converter I will need in the 727 transmission ?, and any other helpful input will be appreciated. Any idea of hp output too.

First - :welcome: - always glad to see someone else join us. As for the TC, that all depends on your goals for the car. And as to the HP guess - you've given us nowhere near enough to go on.

Welcome........ you could grab an off the shelf converter using the descriptions written about each to decide. Or.......... you could call a manufacturer like PTC, Dynamic, or many other companies and tell them your exact combo and planned usage and they will build you a converter for your car.

But if you want something thrown out there off the shelf, I'd say a 10" B&M, or a street fighter TCI just to throw out a couple.

Ok , thanks for the input. It is going to be street driven only.
Hi all, new to the boards here and have a few questions I hope I can get some input on. I'm planning a 360 build , I have KB Hyper pistons and a purple shaft cam 2992 w/ 280 duration and .474 lift and 340 X heads. Also a Strange S-60 rear with 3.73 gears.I'm in the process of rebuilding a six pack set up for it and was wondering what range torque converter I will need in the 727 transmission ?, and any other helpful input will be appreciated. Any idea of hp output too.

Street driven? Oh yea, it'll be a nice power plant.

IMO, zero deck the pistons for a 9.8-1 ratio with a .038 gasket. A slight drop in ratio can be obtained wioth a .055 gasket. Gets it closer to a 9.5-1. The 373 gears are excellent for the endeavor. The cam has a @ .050 duration of 238. This is roughly in the area of 2500-6000 rpm-ish cam. An off the shelf converter would be around 2800. A custom converter is what I would do and have done. So worth the money to have it tailored for your exact needs. You don't "NEED" a 727. BUT, if the car came with one and you have the driveshaft for it, I would use it. Otherwise a 904 use's less HP and can be built to handle high HP no problem. You'll just need to adjust driveshaft length. An extra PIA I like not to deal with unless absolutely mandatory.

Considering your build perimeters, I'm not sure what kind of power a stock head will make. I'll take a semi-educated guess of 400hp or so. A lot depends on the equipment used that you have not listed. Carb, intake, headers or not, size of piping etc... and how well the heads are right now.
However, I have read about ported stock heads making 450/460 HP. I have not seen this set up with a 6 pack.

Welcome aboard!

If I zero deck the Pistons will I need shorter than stock pushrods? I do have a set of blackjack headers with 1 5/8 tubes, and I will get the heads cleaned up with a 3 angle valve job. I've had this car and theses parts in storage for the last 24 years so I've been out of the game so to speak for a while now but I'm back into it to finally get this car on the road.

You will need shorter pushrods.
I also suggest a rocker arm geometry correcting kit from B3. Also a member here.

I would definitely get a custom convertor built from Dynamic. Going to cost more but it will make a world of difference compared to off the shelf convertor.

-
Back