360 build

-
I dont know how crazy you can go with this. I would ask what internals are used in it. Price is right and free shipping and no core charge so not all bad.

the engines already in my garage. i got it for $700.
I now have j heads, and a mopar performance 8 blade water pump i got at mancini for $35!!

Cool! I'll assume the pistons are stock replacement stuff. They will be a fair ways down the bore,.060 at least.

Go here and download this program.It's free....

http://www.compcams.com/CAMQUEST/

This program will help you determine what final compression ratio and cam will work best together. These programs are fairly accurate so it should give you a realistic idea what to expect for power too

I watched the episode of hoserpower tv where they build a stock compression 360,stuck a summit cam and a 650 on it and made 317 h.p.If those darwin award retards can make that you can easily make 400 h.p

To make 350 hp is easy. You dont need 9.5 to 1 compression. Just had your heads milled .010 to clean up and use a steel shim head gasket thats .020 thick. That will yield you 8.5 to 1 and that is all you need!!!! I would run more cam, say a comp XE270. This combo will scream! Dont over think this and waste money on things you dont need. This motor will be a tire smoker. Again just so were clear, dont change the pistons you dont need the extra compression to get the goal of 350hp. Its very expensive and not necessary.

I run the XE256 in my plow truck. That's an '87 360, all stock except the 318/360 (small port) Performer intake and Comp Cam. I added 901-16 springs, took out the exh valve rotators, and added headers and a 750 Performer AFB. It runs decent, but it will be replaced hopefully this spring because it's getting tired and smokes. The cam has a little romp to it in my 7.5:1 360. But i think in a fresh engine it would be smooth.

got my j heads. theyre goin to the machine shop next friday.
Ive been recommended this comp cam 20-223-3.
But whats the benefit of it, versus comp cam 20-212-2?

A bit more h.p,maybe 20 or so. Should put you right around 340 h.p. It's an extreme energy design,so it's a bit more modern than the 212 grind. Faster ramps means the valve opens quicker.

Go with it. Did your engine builder reccomend it? If so he's on your side cuz it's a good upgrade!

Have some bowl work done on the 360 heads if you can afford it.Nothing crazy,just a good valve job and blending.

thanks.
Yep, he know his stuff. Hes been more help to me than anyone else. Im 15 and my budgets pretty tight. He's helping build the engine, do body work, and paint.
He has a set of 273 rocker arms. would those be good?
and is a 3 angle valve job good enough?

thanks.
Yep, he know his stuff. Hes been more help to me than anyone else. Im 15 and my budgets pretty tight. He's helping build the engine, do body work, and paint.
He has a set of 273 rocker arms. would those be good?
and is a 3 angle valve job good enough?

The 273 rocker arm is adjustable and came standard with the solid am in the 273.The rocker has an adjustment screw and lock nut. They will be fine as long as you dont mind adjusting them once in a while,but there's no real advantage to running them. Unless your pushrods are too short,lol..even then they can only make up so much difference.

3 angle vj is fine. Pretty standard.

the cam card for the xe268h says i need an adjustable valvetrain..do i have to have that?

Well,if thats what they reccomend go with it.I guess the real advantage to it would be being able to compensate for wear and teaching you how to adj valves.
It could possibly be worth a few rpm and therefore a couple ponies. If you decide to run them micro polish the shafts.This will help prevent scuffing and aid in oiling the area between the rocker and the shaft.

It does not need adjustable valve train. but it does need the proper preload on the lifters. That is something your engine guy can help you with once the heads are on and the cam is in place. You'll have to measure and order the right length for them.

Sounds good. I did the same thing with a pepboys short block which was nothing special. I put a .509 hydraulic purpleshaft in it and x heads and it made 297hp at the rear wheels on 87 octane! I say go for it since you couldnt build it yourself for that cheap!

What intake and carb did you use on it? Sounds like a definite winner in my book.

the cam card for the xe268h says i need an adjustable valvetrain..do i have to have that?

As moper mentioned, you don't have to have the adjustables with a XE268H. Comp makes that suggestion for whatever reason.

Demonkyles engine made 349 hp/400tq with a 360, xe268, J heads, kb107, ld340, stock rocker gear, 750dp. Might be a 9.5:1 engine.

There was a magazine build a while back.Stock 360,magnum heads air gap,cam about .480 ish. Made over 400 h.p.

Easy to make this kind of power with a 360!

-
Back