360 conversion

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I am considering putting in a '75 360 engine (it is currently in a car with an automatic transmission) in my 1966 Barracuda that has a sickly 340 & an A-883 4-spd. When I put in the 340, I used Schumacher /6 to V-8 conversion motor mounts. I have no power steering, power brakes or AC. I am told the 360 is a 'bolt in' in every way EXCEPT needing a 360 std transmission flywheel & a roller bearing in the crank for the A-833. Am I missing any other potential problem? If I buy a new 360 flywheel, does it need to be balanced?
What about oil pan fit. Will my 340 headers bolt to the 360? Will my 340 bellhousing bolt onto the 360?
Thanks to anyone who has 'been there' & can share your experience!

If you purchase the flywheel for the 360, make sure it is a flywheel for it as a external balance engine of that year. MP sell's them as well as other places. I purchased a MP part. It was an excellent piece. No re-balancing is needed.

As far as a "roller bearing" for the snout of the trans to slip into, it is not a "Needed" part but a good one to have over the standard unit which is just a small metal sleeve that "Sweats."

The 340 oil pan will not fit the 360. Only a 360 pan fits a 360, make sure it is a center sump for a car.

Everything else is a go. Headers, bell housing. Anything else on your mind?

Just ship that tired 340 to Texas ... C.O.D of course!
LoL

-
Back