360 converter/flexplate?

-

erock350

Reaction score
hello all,

I have lurked here for awhile now learned a lot from reading and searching but now I am not clear on something and need your help. I have a 70 Dodge Dart Custom 4 Dr. that came with a 318/904, I am now building a 1972 360 for it. The 360 I bought did not have anything bolted to the crank when I got it. I read that to mate the 360 to my 904 I need a flexplate so I Bought a B&M 10239 flexplate. For some reason I thought the flexplate was a two piece part with the gear for the starter (i miss read the information on Summit's site it said 2 piece rear main seal but had a picture of the flexplate & gear so I thought those where the two pieces.) anyway since this confused me I started reading again got more confused lol. This what i need to know. 1) Do I need this B&M flexplate? if no what do I need 2) I assume i need a 360 torque converter to put in my 904, for balance right? 3) Does the 360 torque converter have the starter gear on it like the one my 318 used. 4) Is there anything else I need to go between the crank and torque converter for this swap? The 360 I am building is mild street car .30 over, flat top pistons, XE268H cam, 600cfm Thunder AVS carb, rpm gap manifold, stock heads. 2000 or so stall converter when i figure this out. Thanks for all your help this is the first time i am attempting a swap like this.

Eric

you need either a 360 flex plate from B&M or a converter that has the weights welded on it for a 360.. the converter will have the starter teeth on it not the flex plate...

the 360 flex plate should have a half moon looking cut out..

bmm-10230.jpg

You can use the flexplate you bought (10239) with the 318 converter, or any other 904 converter that is neutral balanced, with your 360.

A OEM 360 converter will have weights welded on but the flexplate has weight cut out on the opposite side instead. Older B&M plates for external balance applications had weight welded on also for use with the more common neutral balanced converters.

If you ever look for another OEM converter, also remember that trans/converters from a lock-up combo will not interchange with a "regular" trans/converter.

You may have some drivability issues to tune for during winter because the Air-Gap doesn't have a heat crossover.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I did buy the b&m flex plate and have it at home. It looks like the one at the bottom of the picture, and the holes in it match the ones on my crank. So since i have the flex plate what converter do I buy? Do i just look for one for a 904 that does not have weights?

Thanks for the reply's. so I will keep the flex plate and find a neutral balanced stall converter. Is there any brand or website you recommend? I am trying to keep the cost down. Comp cams said my combo works best with at least a 2000 stall. Like I said in my 1st post this will be a street car. (Locomotion As far as tuning/driving for winter using the rpm gap the car will be in storage and not used so I am not to worried.

-
Back