360 dies at idle, but not when in gear ??? Huh?

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
Hoping for some direction....have a stock 360 with a carter carb. The car has run fine up until today. It starts right up, goes into gear and will run like that all day. Put it in park and it stumbles and dies within 15 seconds. Fires right back up. I can understand if it stalled when you put in gear but this is opposite....stalls when you go to idle....any suggestions? Seems like a fuel issue but can't be positive

How did you set up the carb for ideling?
Timing at idle?
Timing in gear?
Rpm at idle?
Rpm in gear?
Where is vacume advance attached?
Manifold vacume at idle?
Manifold vacume in gear?
Ported vacume at idle?
Ported vacume in gear?

What if you rev it in park? Stays alive? seems a fuel delivery issue to me also

How did you set up the carb for ideling?
Timing at idle?
Timing in gear?
Rpm at idle?
Rpm in gear?
Where is vacume advance attached?
Manifold vacume at idle?
Manifold vacume in gear?
Ported vacume at idle?
Ported vacume in gear?
Timing at idle 10 BTDC
RPM is around 900 idle 750 in gear
Vacuum advance is on ported vacuum
Ported vacuum at idle is 0
Manifold is 45 ish

Seems to do it more when it's warmed up.....i would say the coil cutting out but no idea why putting it in gear eliminates the issue ?:rolleyes:

Does it die going from Drive to Neutral or Drive to Reverse?

What is your ignition system just so every one knows what that is too?

I'll recheck the vacuum numbers. Ignition is a mopar hei with an msd blaster coil. I rechecked the base timing and it was more retarded than 10 so I set it back to 10, it doesn't die putting it in gear. Shifts fine then when you put it in park it'll idle for 10 to 15 seconds and die. If you rev the engine it'll stay running so it's a fuel problem in guessing

Idle mixture set properly? In gear the engine pulls less vacuum thus less air/fuel (yes both) through the idle circuit compared to in park with no load without the converter engaged. Might be too rich at idle? What are the mixture screws set at?

Could also be some kind of vacuum leak that only shows up when the vacuum is higher in park and gets "bigger" when the carb warms up from engine heat.

The car starts and idles great. If i don't touch it, it'll run for a few mins and you can hear the idle go down....without knocking off the high idle. You might be right here on the idle adj. I had the screws out about 1.5 turns.....while it was starting to die I backed them out almost 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns and it stabilized. That seems more than i would have thought but seems to be working. I'll drive it later to confirm. Thanks for the advice!!!

The car starts and idles great. If i don't touch it, it'll run for a few mins and you can hear the idle go down....without knocking off the high idle. You might be right here on the idle adj. I had the screws out about 1.5 turns.....while it was starting to die I backed them out almost 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns and it stabilized. That seems more than i would have thought but seems to be working. I'll drive it later to confirm. Thanks for the advice!!!

Sometimes you have to just give it what it needs and not get too caught up in the numbers or values. Check to make sure there aren't any vacuum leaks and the primary throttle shaft doesn't have any play. I have an Edelbrock 1406 (essentially the same as a Carter AFB) on the 360 in my truck and the throttle shaft bore is worn bad, need to get a new carb but in the meantime I just cranked up the idle mixture on the driver side a bunch to compensate for the extra air going in that side and it runs mostly fine.

One way to check if it's running out of fuel, run it till it dies, then pull the top of the carb off and see how much fuel is in the bowls.

Assuming the float bowl is vented,
my guess is that the throttle blades should be up the transfers a lil higher, then the mixture screws reset to in the middle of their range. If the idle speed is too high, you will have to retard the timing to get it down.
Now you can start the tune, beginning with the WET fuel level.
I do this by clamping a rubber section of the fuel line. With the engine idling and the line clamped;
One of three things is gonna happen;
1) the idle speed will immediately begin drop as pullover becomes harder and harder, indicating a low WET fuel level.
2) the idle speed will increase, as the engine was in a state of being too rich, the fuel-level is too high
3) the idle speed will remain stable for say 15 or more seconds, before the speed begins to drop. This indicates that the WET fuel level is pretty daymn close. Let it be.
other tips:
If you have a carb with metering rods, they HAVE to stay down in the jets at idle. Make sure yours do.
Make sure your PCV system is working
Make sure your fuel pump is not sucking air at one of the rubber jumpers.
And, as already mentioned, make sure the tank is vented
I would normally recommend a fuel volume test, but since it seems to be fine in gear, maybe later.....
IMO,
900 rpm in neutral is way too high, and the 150 rpm drop tells me that 10* is too much idle-timing. Normally this indicates that throttle blades are too far open. but if you have air entering the engine from an unauthorized source, that will throw a monkey wrench into all your tuning efforts.
The correct throttle opening for your engine is to have the Transfer-slot exposure underneath the primary blades to be, about square. Make it so with the curb-idle screw and then leave that screw alone. At this setting your mixture screws should be out about 2>2.5 turns, at 1000 ft elevation or less.
If your idle speed is too fast, slow it down by retarding the timing, wait, did I say this already? Lol.
------------------------
Now if you still have that ugly 150 rpm drop into gear, go looking for an air leak. If your Carter is a 4bbl, make sure the secondaries are closed up tight but not sticking. You can test this by completely covering, and plugging, the secondary side with a shop rag, which should produce little to no rpm change. Check the brake booster charge-line, the vacuum advance diaphragm, anything plumbed to the intake. If still not found, check the intake to head flanges, including the valley side. I do that by sealing the crankcase and measuring the dipstick tube for vacuum, which should not be there. Do not let the pressure exceed 3>4 psi, or you will risk blowing out a seal, somewhere hard to replace......
When all else fails, go put your hand on the tailpipe, looking for a vacuum signal. If you find it, she'll need a valvejob. You might as well do this first, cuz if you find vacuum here, you just may have saved a couple of hours of hunting. Get the valve job done and start over.

-
Back