360 Dodge Magnum engine

-

jerrygriffin

Reaction score
Having been a bow tie guy for the past 20 years, and now with a Mopar to build, I have a couple questions. I bought a 360 engine from a Dodge Magnum to rebuild. I keep hearing about "Magnum" heads. Do these heads come from an engine in a Magnum car or is there a catagory of heads identified as "Magnum"? This is engine is from a 78 Dodge Magnum car.
Thanks,

Jerry, the main difference in the "Magnum" engines vs the older "LA" engines is;

The heads oil like the Chevys. The heads attaching bolts are like Vortecs. Straight up and down. The parts are not able to be directly swapped from head to head.
The heads can be swapped onto a older "LA" engine with some minor creative work. You'll need shorter oil through pushrods and lifters.
Head gaskets are not the same but it will not matter which one you use.

Intakes are limited to a few. Edelbrocks RPM, MoPars M-1 dual or single planes.
Pro-Products Edel, RPM rip off.

The word "Magnum" was attached to big block engines years earlier and have a total of nothing except the spelling of Magnum in common.

A '78 Dodge Magnum has the "LA" engine. Theres tons of parts for "LA". Not so much the body/style /model car. The car was actually designed to be the next style change for the charger. Though the brass of the troubled Chrysler were a tad neverous on a new model intro to the Charger line, they kept the Charger for '78 selling a most undesired amount barley making the 4 digits vs the Magnums 40,000+ units. Thus ended the Cordoba styled Charger very quickly leaving the Magnum name plate for 1 more year.
( Shame it was discontinued after that. )

Some good info there thanks rumbelfish360 :thumbup: :tool:

:salute: Anytime. Thanks. :thumbup:

Great Information from you guys. I know a bunch more than I did earlier. Was there a difference between 318 and 360 heads during these years?
Thanks,

Yes and quite a bit. Smaller port windows and valves.

Engine CID...318............360
intake.........1.78..........1.88
exhaust.......1.50..........1.60

Keep with the 360 heads for your 360, 318 heads for a 318. 360 heads on a 318 kill alot unless your looking to seriously race the engine. 318 heas on a 360 limit potentail but do make crazy torque and will in most cases, bump the compresion up. The head will not suport the 360 much over 5,000 RPM's at best.

-
Back