360 Duster 76

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
i guys im in a big dilemma ! i dont know what to do ! do i put my car customized .. i mean new paint racing seats .. dana 60 rear end with mini tubs , or i just leave the car with is matching numbers .. like i said i bought last month an 1976 spirit of 76 plymouth duster witch is an original sunroof car ..that seems extremely rare ..

some poeple told me that they did less than 600 -- 700 production 360 duster in 76 , maybe even less .. and maybe like 50 with 360 + sunroof .

i dont know but a lot of people in cars shows here in quebec told me that is was really really rare and to leave it original was the best thing , and btw i have more options that supposed to make it even more unique ..

my question is ! is it that rare that i should put it factory stock looking , magnum 500 wheels , original paint , etc ...

or

to modify it like i alway liked , pro - street look , flashy paint , mags , street -strip car ?????

heres my matching numbers options :

360 c.i + the 4 bbl option ( police pack )

-dual exhaust , with no - cat option

- automatic 727 tranny

-mechanical sunroof

-Spirit of 76 interior option . red, blue and white

- interior map light

-magnum 500 wheels

-original paint optionnal that year : white color

- i still have the broadcast sheet and all the papers to prove the options and the matching numbers of the car .. vin etc ..

Give me your opinions please ...

thx ! Joe

If it were ME, I'd leave it....restore to stock.....those numbers, IF they are correct, look REALLY good for that one being a gem for the collector market at some point. :read2:

do whatever you feel like doing with it. It's a 76, so it doesn't have as much curb appeal as say a 68-73, but if you feel like restoring it, restore it.

I'd leave it stock, if it was me. You can always find another run-of-the-mill Duster to customize, but the uncommon ones are exactly that, uncommon.

My friends and I used to buy and sell 340 cars like they were nothing. A few hundred bucks, or a trade, or whatever. No one wanted them, because they were just A Bodies. Now look at what they're selling for. The later A Bodies have already started taking off, and being a 360 car with that package, it will be worth a bunch if you hang onto it.

you would be foolish to change it. it is a very rare duster to change. if you are intrested in that sort of thing get a rolling shell or a already started racer and build it.

X4... keep it original... find a /6 duster where the only option was hub caps and make it something cool...76 360 sunroof car... already very cool.....or chop it up and make those that are still around worth even more 'cause there is one less.. :(

Do what ever floats your boat. Personally I wouldn't own one of these cars if I couldn't modifiy it.

If you didn't pay a premium because of a precieved rarity or look at it as an investment then I wouldn't consider that in my decision.

i sended a fax to Galen Govier and im waiting for news .. maybe soon he will help me find my misterious numbers !

BTW : heres the pics for those who wanted too see it !

JAC2007153.jpg

do whatever you feel like doing with it. It's a 76, so it doesn't have as much curb appeal as say a 68-73, but if you feel like restoring it, restore it.

just a few years ago, anything past a 71 A-Body was considered a Whatever car and were only half the value of a 70-71, now the cutoff point is 73?

I better tell my wife that her #'s Matching 75 Duster 360 is only a few years away from being worth more than 100/ton

It's yours so it's your choice but if it were mine I would leave it original cause it's rare. If you want a hot rod you can always flip it and buy a plain jane A-body for less money to make into a hot rod.

It looks like a pretty darn nice car. To nice and original to modify IMHO

I'd vote to leave it alone. Lots of 73-76 cars out there for cheap to really modifiy.

That being said if another car is not an option, you could do bolt on mdifications to your car.

With another engine and headers etc. you can get alot of performance and not hurt the car too much.

When done, bolt in the stock stuff you kept in the corner. And you still have a stocker.

Just a thought, ROB

do what you want to it, just don't hack it up so if at some point it can go back to original

Looks like someone has already started doing things to it, from when it was new probably, (bought a new 77 Aspen and started the day after I bought it)

It would be a nice car for either mod or restore. I personally don't like the pure stock look of too many cars. Valve covers, paint and wheels can always be changed back, cutting wheel wells, hood scoops and other mods no so easy to reverse

my 2 cents

Leave it stock and restore it, it's one of the last true American muscle cars and the last year for anything that resembled anything in that era(basically a 1970 body). It's to rare to cut up. You can modify it some to your personal taste but don't do enough to not be able to put it back factory style.

I took my decision .. finnaly i want to restore it to a factory stock apperence , my car s year stripe ( like the silver duster ) is not what i like the most .. so a car inspired me a lot , and its not to far of what my car looked like when it was out frome the assembly line .. and my choice is the look of the hang ten dart .. but to put it on my duster .. with the exact paint color ,with magnum 500s wheels and similar stripe kit and a dark red interior w/ black tissues .. ( based on the boca raton )

the expert will see that there a magnum 360 inside , but a lot of people will think that its the original engine inside ( and a lot more if i put the 360 valve covers ).

tell me what you guys think about my choice , and i think personnaly that we can call it a sleeper , cause the young vivics guys or stangs .. will think that the car is purely stock ! ( and for that year 73-76 there where not the fastest ! )

mybanner4989d73c496bbna1.jpg

mybanner498c3a59e4d42do8.jpg

mybanner498c3afc13b64ii0.jpg

mybanner498c3bdfe0dd6pb4.jpg

btw .. i talked with a lot of people since the last 6 months , and a big bunch of mopar experts told me that my car was 1 of 50 , others said : 1 0f 1 and 1 0f none !! i dont know and personnaly i dindt know that my car was that rare .. some are in this world since 40 years and made all the car shows in canada and usa and had never seen a car like mine ,, i dont know if its that true but its always fun to know that a car that as been for 5 or 6 months for sale on the internet for 5 k is a one of one car !! thats so weird !

mybanner498abe0f0fd5cuc4.jpg

i found a lot of infos since this summer ! here they come :

my fender tag decoder :

B41= POWER DISC BRAKES
E58= HI-PERFORMANCE 360 ( police pak )
c = CANADA ( special delivery )
EW1= SPINAKKER WHITE
F18= 65 AMP ALTENATOR
G51= LEFT HAND MANUAL MIRROR
J52= INSIDE HOOD RELEASE
L31= FENDER MOUNTED TURN SIGNAL INDICATOR
M21= DRIP RAIL MOULDING
M26= WHEEL LIP MOULDING
M52= MANUAL SUNROOF
N41= DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM
R11= RADIO AM 2 WATT
D36= 727 3 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION
VL29 = VALIANT LOW SPORT MODEL
000= WHITE FULL DOOR PANELS
F1E7 = INTERIOR TRIM
V4E= HALF VINYL CANOPY WHITE
A62= SILVER DUSTER DECORATIVE PACKAGE
G01= ELETRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGER
B21= NOVEMBER 21 , 1975 FABRICATION DATE
N21= AIR PUMP
N38= NON-CATALYTIC EXHAUST SYSTEM
26 = 26 INCH RADIATOR
XX = END OF PRODUCTION LINE

the car is really a spinakker white duster w/ a silver duster trim package stuffed with a 360 police pak .. and not a spirit of 76 car .. like i said last summer .. they never existed on the duster ( spirits of 76 & dusters )

I like the sides, not sure about the hood & completely blacked out grille. Have you checked out the thread on painted grilles? Some good ideas there.

Nice car!If you found your car in Canada?Someone has taken care of her,cause the salt here would have ate her up good.I,d keep it stock also,once you start changeing stuff,you value will de-crease.Leave it be!

thx a lot that you guys appriciated the fact that im gonna give it a factory stock look ,, i think its better like that !!

I ve been waiting for the last 5 months to get the car back home !! ah man i am sooooo god damn HAPPY !

its always fun to get your car back frome winter !

Enjoy the duck tape duster !

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

-
Back