360 Dyno Update

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
All the background history is here:

Dyno'ed My 360..it's a pig..what next?

Long story short, I replaced the 625 Carter AFB with the FiTech EFi 600hp unit. I also ripped out the crappy long tube headers and put in a set of TTI Shorty headers (this turned in to its own adventure). Those were the only mods....no timing adjustments (currently 19 degrees at idle and 34 degrees at 3200 RPM), no other changes other than to accomodate the parts notes above.

Poorly tuned carb: 181 hp & 251 lb-ft
EFI System: 241 hp & 297 lb-ft

A 60 hp and 46 lb-ft gain. I realize I could have gotten that out of tuning, but the EFI is so much more driveable and easy starting. Very pleased, especially considering the engine is largely stock. With the A-518 behind it, I'm sure there is extra loss.

Mission accomplished, happy camper.

That's a good boost - but (and not meant as a cut) had the tuning been good, you would not have seen such a great increase. EFI is a great deal, so good move. But in most cases it's just doing the job better than the guy trying to work with the carb and antique ignition.

Totally agree that the EFI is just making up for my lack of skill and patience with a carb. But, this also makes cold starting a snap, and since this is a year round cruiser, it doesn't matter if it's 40 degrees or 100....it will still be in tune.

I was expecting 20hp.....maybe 30 at the very most. 60 blew my mind.

SDart,

So how does it feel now compared to before?

Marion

Much more responsive. Pulls harder off the line and up high when I get in it on the highway. It's not a killer combination, nor did I expect it to be. But the new numbers are much more in line with what I wanted in a street cruiser. The 3.55s with the OD are awesome too. Decent bottom end, but I can keep up with 75mph hwy traffic turning like 2500 RPMs. I know the 518 eats some power, but it's worth the streetability to me.

The EFI is still learning a bit. If it hit it too hard from idle it still has a wee bit of stumbled, but not like a carb. The more I drive it the more it learns.

-
Back