360 edelbrock heads

-

sixpakmopar

sixpakmopar
Reaction score
i plan to run a set of edelbrock heads on a 360 with kb pistons using a zero deck height.what i would like to know is why edelbrock offers two variations of this head one for early high comp engs with a machined chamber? was this done to reduce the comp ratio? since comp ratio is not an issue for me i will be using this eng for the strip only would the regular head(non machined chamber) be best for me thanks

The 340 head in machined to clear the early 340's pistons. they have a posative deck hight and would hit a closed chambered head. If your going to run a flat top at zero deck run the other heads. With a zero deck hieght flat top, the edelbrocks 64 cc chamber and a .040" gasket you'll have a good quench motor and about 11:1 compression wich should run fine on premium fuel with a good size cam.

The high compression 340 pistons come out of the hole. You can't run the standard Eddy head with these pistons because they would hit. Edlebrock macines a step into the 340 specific heads to eliminate this interferance. If you are building a motor with pistons that are at zero deck or below, you should use the standard heads.

AdamR said:
The 340 head in machined to clear the early 340's pistons. they have a posative deck hight and would hit a closed chambered head. If your going to run a flat top at zero deck run the other heads. With a zero deck hieght flat top, the edelbrocks 64 cc chamber and a .040" gasket you'll have a good quench motor and about 11:1 compression wich should run fine on premium fuel with a good size cam.

FWIW, with an 0.030 overbore, typical Felpro head gasket and 64 cc chambers the compresion ratio will be about 10.6:1. Don't forget that the head gasket has a very large bore compared to the piston (in the case of FelPro 4.180") and the KB's add 5cc to the chamber volume because of the valve reliefs.

Orionsax7 said:
Wasn't he asking about 360 heads? I'm lost.

340s and 360s use the same head but Edelbrock offers 2 differant versions. 1 is machined for early 340 pistons that stick up out of the bore the other doesnt.

I ran a zero deck KB (107030) piston in my 360 with Edelbrock heads. The lower cc head. The gaskt was a Fel-Pro with the above mentioned big bore size.
It ran fine without problems. I used 93 octane and I think 34* on the distrib.
(it's been a while)

dgc333 said:
FWIW, with an 0.030 overbore, typical Felpro head gasket and 64 cc chambers the compresion ratio will be about 10.6:1.

Mine is close to this set-up (.020 overbore) and my compression worked out to 10.1:1 and it's exactly where I wanted it.

I can't wait to see how this one runs! :toothy8:

John,
It wouldn't be that low if the pistons are at zero deck with 64cc magnum heads.

-
Back