360 engine help needed

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking to build a 360 with about 400 hp , maybe a little more depending on cost to put in the Dart Sport, what would be the best years to look at. Is there anything or any particular year that was better than others. later, earlier and what vehicles did they come in. Tyler, now that he has moved up in the world and making more money is wanting a little more engine than he has in the 360 he is currently running. He has a 1978 360 now but doesn't want to pull the engine out and not be able to drive the car. I was thinking of buying another one and build it on the stand and then swap it once it was done. I have heard stories about some of the 360's though. thanks,Bill

There are some great threads on this. The "12 second combo" thread is going to give you lots of ideas.

There are some great threads on this. The "12 second combo" thread is going to give you lots of ideas.
generally a A body with a true 400+ horsepower will push beyond 12's, providing the rest of the car (converter/gears/traction) is set up half way decent.

My question would be is there a "horsepower" goal or is there a "E.T." goal ?? Once you figure out the purpose for the car, then you build accordingly. But, my answer to your question would be a 360 magnum. No, you don't need to stroke it. Just a good cam, EQ heads, and an air gap should about obtain your goals. You should read what the MP crate 380 hp 360 has for components, that's within 20 horse of your goal.

generally a A body with a true 400+ horsepower will push beyond 12's, providing the rest of the car (converter/gears/traction) is set up half way decent.

I didn't want to put him to sleep with details of how the lower geared cars might no be as good an example or the fact that most weekend warriors leave a lot on the table when it comes to suspension... But seeing examples of what does what is always helpful.

If your staring from scratch, look for a late 80's LA roller cam block/engine, or just go Magnum.

If it were me and i got the chance to start over I'd go Modern Hemi.

I didn't want to put him to sleep with details of how the lower geared cars might no be as good an example or the fact that most weekend warriors leave a lot on the table when it comes to suspension... But seeing examples of what does what is always helpful.
Yep, I gotcha. It was a great suggestion. :) I just threw my remark out there because most people that desire a "400 horse" motor out there (why is it always 400 hp ?? .. LOL), would be happy with a high 12 second car, in which case they may reach their goal with a 325 hp motor..

The OP didn't give us any details about the car or it's use, or what they want from it, so we are left to assume....:dink:

Yep, I gotcha. It was a great suggestion. :) I just threw my remark out there because most people that desire a "400 horse" motor out there (why is it always 400 hp ?? .. LOL), would be happy with a high 12 second car, in which case they may reach their goal with a 325 hp motor..

The OP didn't give us any details about the car or it's use, or what they want from it, so we are left to assume....:dink:

True DAT! :)

I didn't give details about the car because that is not relavent here. I am not putting it on the track or trying to get a certain ET. I just wanted about 400 HP., give or take out of a small block for jr's car. But it is a 73 Dart Sport, 4 speed,3:55 gears. Why 400, because I know it is easily obtainable in a small block. He has a Comp XE268 cam to go in it. I just needed to know if there is a desireable 360 that is better than others to look for. If not, I will just pick up any 360 and go from there. Plan on going about .030 bore. cross the rest of the bridge later. Thanks for the info.

IMO, while any properly built & any year 360 will make 400+ HP, starting with a Magnum engine would be best. Reason being is that there in the junk yards fairly cheap. I have noted the excellent shape of the cylinders even with an excess off a 100,000 miles.

To make a 400 HP engine, I would do a simple copy of MoPar 's 380 create engine which routinely dyno's over 400 HP. Off hand I do not remember intake vale size but the rest of the engine is only a cam, intake carb and headers. If you need to add the 2.02 valve, then do it.

The comment reguarding how well a 400HP A body will run is correct IF the car is pushed in that direction. I have been to the race track a few times speaking with racers. Paying closer attention to. The 360/380 create motor cars. Depending on the car it was in, they were as quick as low 11's in a gutted race A body and at least mid 12's regular car.

I didn't give details about the car because that is not relevant here. I am not putting it on the track or trying to get a certain ET. I just wanted about 400 HP., give or take out of a small block for Jr's car. But it is a 73 Dart Sport, 4 speed,3:55 gears. Why 400, because I know it is easily obtainable in a small block. He has a Comp XE268 cam to go in it. I just needed to know if there is a desirable 360 that is better than others to look for. If not, I will just pick up any 360 and go from there. Plan on going about .030 bore. cross the rest of the bridge later. Thanks for the info.

Bill, I'm no guru by any stretch, lol, but it seems to me that the earlier blocks were better, at least that's what I have read.

Don't know if it's factual or not.

Any block you get you'll want to sonic check it before doing any boring.

I didn't give details about the car because that is not relavent here. I am not putting it on the track or trying to get a certain ET. I just wanted about 400 HP., give or take out of a small block for jr's car. But it is a 73 Dart Sport, 4 speed,3:55 gears. Why 400, because I know it is easily obtainable in a small block. He has a Comp XE268 cam to go in it. I just needed to know if there is a desireable 360 that is better than others to look for. If not, I will just pick up any 360 and go from there. Plan on going about .030 bore. cross the rest of the bridge later. Thanks for the info.

Gee.. you already have a 360 with the XE268 cam, so I can probably assume headers and 4bbl, pending on your heads & compression, you may already have 400 hp. And if it's not going to the track, and will never be proven, just say you have "400 horse" now and be done with it. That's what all my buddies with 350 4bbl Camaro's did, "what's in your Camaro? "350 4bbl with 400 horse"..... LOL :D

Seriously, trudyduster, my suggestion is the 360 magnum as your best start.... :)

Really , built right with 268 cam headers and intake you are probably making 400 hp , or real close . My 340 with 262 cam and iron heads had 413 hp , 430 hpnow with ede heads .
You might want to re think what your goals are , some suspension , converter gears would probably get you there , sounds like you have the HP .

My 360 has stock heads with 2.02 valves .030 over speed pro pistons an 800 eddy and a lunati 292 cam in a little a body it feels like 400h.p !

x2

Holes are holes, you eat ugly donuts don't ya???

LOL........... Hey, I've got a 400 hp 273 under my deck!!!! If ya neva gonna drag it, or race it, and just want to say it, I'll say it 4ya..: 400 horse 273 2bbl.... install it and ya neva know da diff!!!!! My price?? 400.00 lol

318willrun, go back and read my posts. I said he has a XE268 cam to go in it. we are looking to buy a 360 engine and build it while he is still driving this one. This engine is bare stock. according to the books a little over 200 HP I guess. It doesn't have headers and never will. I don't like headers as I do not like changing the gaskets all the time. Been there and done that. We bought the cam to go in this engine and decided that if we are going to go that far, just go ahead and bore this one and build it. But it means the car being down awhile. So since these 360's are fairly cheap, buy one and build it as time allows.

318willrun, You made me laugh out loud with that Chevy Camaro comment!

because you are going to have it machined any way and will probably put new heads on it , any mid 70's 360 that has not been abused or left outside to rot will do the trick. if it were me , I would find one that is basically complete.

that's what I am looking for. a complete engine hopefully one I can hear run. I just told Badsport I would like to stay older than a 1980. Then take it apart and build it like I want from the ground up.

that's what I am looking for. a complete engine hopefully one I can hear run. I just told Badsport I would like to stay older than a 1980. Then take it apart and build it like I want from the ground up.
Unless you're buying an E58 factory 4bbl HP 360, there's no major differences. The 2bbl 360s from like 1975 are no different than the low-performance 360s from 1988. And if you're building one, there's even less concern of what you start with. The 340 cam should be a good step in the right direction but especially if cost's half a consideration, I wouldn't be tied down to year limitations that serve no purpose. The newer blocks tend to have less wear, the ability to run a roller cam w/o extra effort/money is a plus, and running one's an even bigger plus.

just browsing the internet I found a 1976 engine out of a Cordoba for $300.00 in a junk yard. complete. They also had one out of a 1978 car with 60000 miles on it but it smokes. It was $300.00 also. I think either one would do just fine.

You are correct, you did state the cam "was to go in it". As stated, any 360 will do, however, I personally would go with a magnum because of the roller cam for todays oils, magnum heads are hard to beat, already has great compression for the street, and a lighter rotating assembly.

I am looking to build a 360 with about 400 hp , maybe a little more depending on cost to put in the Dart Sport, what would be the best years to look at. Is there anything or any particular year that was better than others. later, earlier and what vehicles did they come in. Tyler, now that he has moved up in the world and making more money is wanting a little more engine than he has in the 360 he is currently running. He has a 1978 360 now but doesn't want to pull the engine out and not be able to drive the car. I was thinking of buying another one and build it on the stand and then swap it once it was done. I have heard stories about some of the 360's though. thanks,Bill
The earlier the more faster if I'm not mistaken they started making them less Faster after 73 or so Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I just got a E-58 Cop Car 360 And that comes with a 4bbl. And the 360 I got is a HP engine stock.

Less faster?
The difference is low compression pistons and milder can with a smaller intake vavle.
Emissions equipement further kills the power.

-
Back