360 engine swap questions

-

Gjason89

Reaction score
With me I have a 1969 Dodge Dart originally had a slant six but now I have a donor 360 that came out of a 3/4 ton van 1988 . Problem is its basicly all junked has rust in the cyclinder walls etc and so with the money of my now wrecked motorcycle I plan on finding another good engine to just basicly tune up and drop in ready to go. Problem is there is th 360 la and the 360 magnum which one is the more I guess you can say better horsepower stock one and what vehicles should I look for in the junkyards. Have cash in hand but not sure of what exactly I'm looking for. Already have oil pan and motor conversion brackets. Please help thanks.

Magnums are nice, better materials, and all are factory roller cam blocks. I will never run a flat tappet cam again after one started to go flat on me. LA 360s also has some rollers, not too sure on the years though

'89+ 360s are rollers, '85+ 318s are roller blocks (though some don't have roller cams)

'92+ 318s are Mags, '93+ 360s are Mags. Mags definitely have more power, better cams, and being newer are less likely to be worn out or imperfected from sitting. '03 was the last year for Mags, Rams and Ram vans are probably your cheapest donors with Durangos next and Dakotas/Jeep GCs up to '98 may be reasonable. Jeep has a pass side starter so you won't be using that trans if you want to, '96+ most trans are electronic though some Ram vans may be an exception.

-
Back