360 flywheel

-

7174duster

Reaction score
i have a buddy with a 73' roadrunner who is making a 318-360 swap and is having trouble finding a flywheel for a manual,are the auto and manual balanced the same?have same number of teeth? ive heard of holes being made in the 318 flywheel to balance it correctly to the 360 but im not sure ,id like to know also because i may encounter the same problem when i do the swap in my duster,any help appreciated

I don't know what the p/n is, but i've got on i ran on my 360. it's got 3 large bore holes(1 inch dia) drilled on the engine side (not all the way through) to balance it for a 360. I would be willing to bet that any flywheel showing this much imbalance would be for a stock 360. Keep in mind, that these days, a modified flywheel might have come from some weird stoker that had its own balance. get in touch w/ me if you want the stock flywheel i have. ooops, did i just break some rule by offering to sell in this thread.? This would get my hand slapped over at moparts. :pottytra:

When I built my 360 I just had my son order one from the parts department at the Jeep dealer he worked for. I believe it was around $130.

If you go that route make sure it's not one for a magnum 360 since they have a different balance

will it not matter whether the trans is auto or manual? how many teeth would you guys recommend,ive seen them labeled as 130 and 143 and how will that affect it?

Here,s the problem and solution:
1)the swap is no big deal from 318-360.The problem is the way both motors are balanced.
2)the 318 is internally balanced,and the 360 is externally balanced,and requirers and off balanced flywheel to counter react the normal vibrations that occour in the motor.
3) forget about trying to find a true standard 360 flywheel,they are few and far between.
4)solution,you find a normal flywheel,you emaill me your email address and I forward you the drawing and specs the count drill the normal flywheel to turn it into a truly balanced 360 flywheel.
5)the specs and drawings can be found in the old mopar racers bible,if you can find one of them,as i have a couple of the old ones and the new set.
6) if you find a very good machinist,he will follow the instruction to the letter and you will have the flywheel you need,and will be perfect.
If the need more info on the flywheel,call me at 450 424 0445 or email me at [email protected]

thanks for the help,i already have the diagram,but was just wondering if there was an easier way and if having an auto or stick would affect how the flywheel is balanced(sry if thats a newbie question),but are you saying that the best way to do it would be to use the 130 tooth 318 flywheel and drill the holes as specified in the diagram?or would he be better off buying a new flywheel for around $250-$400?or could an original 360 flywheel be used? the motor is a remanufactured long block that should be arriving next friday,he has the harmonic balancer and the motor mounts,is this all that will be needed in the swap?will the clutch diameter also be a factor?(10.5 by the way)thanks for the replies

You can purchase a new flywheel for your manual tranny car right through Mopar Performance. The diameter is 10.5 The 11 isn't available from MP. Other places like RAM or McLeaod (sp?) have 11 inch flywheels.
Use a damper for a 360. Then theres no issue.
The 10.5 is the one you need. Theres no tooth issue ethier.

For a auto tranny car, you can purchse weights to fix the balance problem or a part from TCi or other trany places that will do the job without welding weights on. Then any converter can be used.

All parts can be purchased new and also explained in the chassis book.

Other than a special applacation flywheel,all the flywheels are the same number if you look in the GTS decoding book.You can get a regular wheel from a motor weather its a small block or big block and have it machined,for about a hours labour,alot cheaper than 250-400$.If it was a utomatic car,you still need to buy a externally balanced flex plate from a company like B&M.If you can find a manual flywheel made for a 360,buy all means get it for cheap,and have it checked.My money is on not finding the part,as I have had hundreds email me about this,and always get a regular unit and machine it.Your dampener better be a extenally balanced unit or you will be way out of balance,and will vibrate like mad.Even if it has a smaller or larger bolt pattern,find out which diameter clutch cover you are using and have the holes drilled and tapped,you will be at the machinist shop any ways,so if he can,t do that,you are in the wrong shop.Now you can search and try to find,but what is your time and effort worth to you,if a buddy has a old manual wheel in the garage for 50-75$,and some machining time,mrmopartech

-
Back