360 Headers melting Plug wires #5 & #7

-

TexasDeuce

Reaction score
Our '67 Cuda has a SB 360 and the headers are really close to the heads on the driver side of the motor. So close the plug wires touch the header pipe and they melt.
There was a strip of tin that held back the wires but did not help much.

I bought some spark plug wire socks and used some left over wraps on the pipe but I'm not sure if that will remedy the situation. I had the engine running for about half an hour and the wrap began to smoke. Is this normal?

Has anyone heard of a way to prevent the wires from burning through? Any ideas/recommendations?

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 498
  • photo 5.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 436
i had the same problem and found that the socks work just fine been using them for over a year now.you should have no problems....

I use the DEi socks on mine... been on there for months.. no problems yet.

simple, make a metal bracket that hold the wires away from the tube, and insted of going behind go infront of the tube and have the bracket hold the wires in a safe spot

BTW your headers sure look like they suck... bet its fun changing plugs! more expensive headers don't have as many issues

i had the same problem and found that the socks work just fine been using them for over a year now.you should have no problems....
X2 I use the multi position MSD boots with the socks, and I have Spector wire holders that bolt to the valve covers and hold the wires tight.
like these from Summit/Jegs:

Attachments

• spector.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 337
This might be hard to see in the photo, I run mine under the header for #5, and #7, use 90 degree boots pointed down, use a heat sleeve over them which is just some 5/8 synthetic fire fighting hose, never have a problem in 16 years....I think it presents a cleaner look, just my opinion, and I use a zip tie to secure plug wires to the spiral brake line so the cables wont move much.

Attachments

• Payson Car Show 2011 (5).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 371
This might be hard to see in the photo, I run mine under the header for #5, and #7, use 90 degree boots pointed down, use a heat sleeve over them which is just some 5/8 synthetic fire fighting hose, never have a problem in 16 years....I think it presents a cleaner look, just my opinion, and I use a zip tie to secure plug wires to the spiral brake line so the cables wont move much.

the proper way to do it so you don't have trouble, no sense in craming it behind the header tube when there is that much space in front

-
Back