360 HP Confusion. History of this motor?

-
My research (pretty poor) indicates there was a "blue" 360 HP engine in 1979 and a "black" 360 HP engine.

I have been told by owners of the black engine, that it is "better" but don't know specs.
The black valve cover engines were definitely -3 (Special High Performance - more in a bit). There was the 'lil Red which was supposed to be -3 (some were stamped HP) but it had chrome valve covers. Most of the Super Coupes I have seen had the black valve covers, but 2 of them I checked were stamped HP not -3. Then there was was the 300. It had blue valve covers and chrome looking oval sticker on the left valve cover reading "Premium 360". All those engines I've torn down or inspected had all the -3 parts but were stamped HP. All the above were the '69 up 340 cammed engines. Then there was the same stamped HP blocks that had the 252 duration "2bbl" cam option code E57.

My brother had a 79 T-top Magnum 360 2bbl. Ran STRONG for a 2bbl boat. Never purred at idle like my dad's 79 360 Cordoba. Block wasn't stamped -3 or HP but it had a 340 cam in it with a link chain. Engine appeared to have never been apart before. I've spoken with several techs who worked at dealerships during that era and they have told me similar stories of this kind of assembly error both good and bad (high stall converters in 318 2bbl 2.45 4drs, high rpm shift governor in slant six volare, etc.)

The black valve cover engines were definitely -3 (Special High Performance - more in a bit). There was the 'lil Red which was supposed to be -3 (some were stamped HP) but it had chrome valve covers. Most of the Super Coupes I have seen had the black valve covers, but 2 of them I checked were stamped HP not -3. Then there was was the 300. It had blue valve covers and chrome looking oval sticker on the left valve cover reading "Premium 360". All those engines I've torn down or inspected had all the -3 parts but were stamped HP. All the above were the '69 up 340 cammed engines. Then there was the same stamped HP blocks that had the 252 duration "2bbl" cam option code E57.

My brother had a 79 T-top Magnum 360 2bbl. Ran STRONG for a 2bbl boat. Never purred at idle like my dad's 79 360 Cordoba. Block wasn't stamped -3 or HP but it had a 340 cam in it with a link chain. Engine appeared to have never been apart before. I've spoken with several techs who worked at dealerships during that era and they have told me similar stories of this kind of assembly error both good and bad (high stall converters in 318 2bbl 2.45 4drs, high rpm shift governor in slant six volare, etc.)
@glhs0426
"Then there was was the 300."

What was was the "300"?

Last edited:
Last edited:
No spec sheet with the cam. OEM not Direct Connection or Mopar Performance, I'll see if I can find the specs.

See post #6

[/URL][/URL]
T-N-T post #6

"I believe this is a hotter version of the stock 340 cam. The stock cam is 268/276 advertised, 210/220 @.050", 429/444 lift, 114 lsa IIRC.

The P4041998AE specs at 268/276 advertised, 228/235 @.050", 429/444 lift, 114 lsa.

The '68 manual trans cam is different."

This would explain the "modified 340 cam" or "Hotter version of the 340 cam" in the EH1 Little Red Express engine.

@glhs0426
"Then there was was the 300."

What was was the "300"?
1979 Chrysler 300
E58 360
Dual exhaust
Electronic ignition (not lean burn)
"High stall" converter
High rpm upshift governor
9 1/4" rear axle
3.21 gears
Big torsion bars
Front sway bar
Rear sway bar
Aluminum 15x7 wheels
Bucket seats
Tachometer
And a bunch of unique dress up items

US market was only white Canadian market was red. There was a Canadian appearance pkg that was just the unique dress up items.

-
Back