360 HP Confusion. History of this motor?

-
I did some research, this is not what I believe necessarily

Windage tray
Oil mods
Chrome caps in valve stems
Undersize special exhaust valves
Special intake valve
Special valve springs
Hemi style rocker arms
Double roller chain
Special carb
Special distributor
W2 heads
6 qt pan
68 340 cam
72 340 smog cam

Etc etc etc

WTF, is there an authority here ???
Like I said earlier, I had a HP 360 from a cop car. A lot of that is not true. No oil mods, No w2 heads, special valvesprings were 340, No Hemi style rocker arms, maybe 340 with spring reliefs, No 6 quart oil pan unless in a truck (they all had 6 qt pans), some did have the original 340 cam, there was an updated 340/ HP 360 cam but that did not come in until about 76? The valves did probably have hardend tips like all the 340's, yes windage tray, yes double roller timing set like all 340s, Chrysler always had different carbs for HP cars in auto or manual trans, same for distributors. 68-73 340 auto trans cams are the same and that same cam was used in the HP 360's for 2 or 3 years. I would disregard those sources.

No "oil mods", stock block and passages.
No valve caps.
Valve rotator delete- therefore different valves and springs were used, also to compliment the updated spec. 340 style cam.
"Hemi style rocker arms"? No such thing, unless you're referring to 273/340 6bbl. rockers. But those never came on E58s either.
W2 heads NEVER came on ANY production line engine.
The E58s were assembled by the Chrysler Industrial/Marine division, as were most all performance oriented engines at that time.
which 340 can
68 stick or 72 smogger ???

I believe the were some Little Red Wagons with W2 heads ???
NO production line engine EVER came with W2 heads!!
The pre-production LRT concept truck was presented with W2 heads and manifold (by Tom Hoover himself, no less), but the production version was nixed by the bean counters.
The engine used was designated the EH-1, which was basically an ordinary police E-58 outfitted with the necessary components to enable it to be installed in a truck (different oil pan, pickup, dipstick and tube).

which 340 can
68 stick or 72 smogger ???
"72 smogger"??
The '68 Manual trans. cam was a one-year only cam. After that all the 340 and 360 performance engines had cams loosely based on the 340 automatic cam- through the years part numbers changed and some specs were tweeked to aid in emission compliance, but were all closely based on the original 340 auto cam.

Well I'm glad we put that to rest
I think it all started when a couple of publications erroneously put it in print. I remember reading it way back when. It just didn't happen.

Think about all the "stuff" that wouldda had to go along with them. They wouldda had to have the W2 rockers and shafts. The intake manifold. Some kinda special one off W2 exhaust manifolds, because they never came with headers. Talk about a huge expense. ....and you know how Chrysler was about spendin money. LOL

IIRC from 1979, I'll have to look up 1980 again.

E57 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360H

There were three E58 engines available

E58 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360HP with and without A.I.R. pump different VIN codes
E58 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360_3 which was supposed to be the 'lil Red, Super Coupe, 300, and Police pkg. although I have seen all those with either the 360HP or 360_3 stamped blocks

If you have factory installed chrome stem valves on an E58 you SHOULD have chrome stem on the intake and chrome stem/sodium filled exhaust.

The engine being built in 1979 but have such a high VIN in 1980 could indicate the engine sat for a long period. Remember Chrysler was on the brink of bankruptcy and quality control was hideous. My dad's 79 Cordoba always burned oil badly on cylinder 5. Years later a friend pulled the engine and found the piston never had an oil ring groove machined. How many people handled that piston and let it go on by?

No "oil mods", stock block and passages.
No valve caps.
Valve rotator delete- therefore different valves and springs were used, also to compliment the updated spec. 340 style cam.
"Hemi style rocker arms"? No such thing, unless you're referring to 273/340 6bbl. rockers. But those never came on E58s either.
W2 heads NEVER came on ANY production line engine.
The E58s were assembled by the Chrysler Industrial/Marine division, as were most all performance oriented engines at that time.
I believe the E58 used the 249 valve springs along with the 68 340 auto camshaft.
The EH1 for the little red express was a "modified" E58 engine and was "Only built in 78 & 79 & 80" for the LRE. There were 2 LRE that went to Canada in 1980. There were 2 440 ci LRE built in 1978 that went to Canada.
Supposedly the EH1 had a different camshaft than the E58 and a bigger carburetor.

440-red_(1).jpg

Last edited:
I believe the were some Little Red Wagons with W2 heads ???
2, W2 motors made it to the street. One was in Michigan and the other went to Ron Hall or Ron Evans? (Of Baja racing fame) In Calf where it wound up in a Duster. I read this years ago but can not confirm.

Like I said earlier, I had a HP 360 from a cop car. A lot of that is not true. No oil mods, No w2 heads, special valvesprings were 340, No Hemi style rocker arms, maybe 340 with spring reliefs, No 6 quart oil pan unless in a truck (they all had 6 qt pans), some did have the original 340 cam, there was an updated 340/ HP 360 cam but that did not come in until about 76? The valves did probably have hardend tips like all the 340's, yes windage tray, yes double roller timing set like all 340s, Chrysler always had different carbs for HP cars in auto or manual trans, same for distributors. 68-73 340 auto trans cams are the same and that same cam was used in the HP 360's for 2 or 3 years. I would disregard those sources.
No w2's on any production engine. Double roller, chome stem valves, and coolers added on for longevity. Nothing really special about the police pkg or E58 package other than possibly different cams depending on the year. Still low compression smog motors.

IIRC from 1979, I'll have to look up 1980 again.

E57 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360H

There were three E58 engines available

E58 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360HP with and without A.I.R. pump different VIN codes
E58 360 4BBL Engine stamped 360_3 which was supposed to be the 'lil Red, Super Coupe, 300, and Police pkg. although I have seen all those with either the 360HP or 360_3 stamped blocks

If you have factory installed chrome stem valves on an E58 you SHOULD have chrome stem on the intake and chrome stem/sodium filled exhaust.

The engine being built in 1979 but have such a high VIN in 1980 could indicate the engine sat for a long period. Remember Chrysler was on the brink of bankruptcy and quality control was hideous. My dad's 79 Cordoba always burned oil badly on cylinder 5. Years later a friend pulled the engine and found the piston never had an oil ring groove machined. How many people handled that piston and let it go on by?
No sodium filled exhaust valve stems on any 360s. 413 truck motors and some 6.4 hemi truck engines, and old 50s hemi and 6 cyl truck engines had some.

No sodium filled exhaust valve stems on any 360s. 413 truck motors and some 6.4 hemi truck engines, and old 50s hemi and 6 cyl truck engines had some.I have to learn that now I am required to verify my facts since the accident last year. Correct, not sodium filled it was Stellite faced (coated) exhaust valves. Those valves were supposedly only the -3 engines.

No sodium filled exhaust valve stems on any 360s. 413 truck motors and some 6.4 hemi truck engines, and old 50s hemi and 6 cyl truck engines had some.
Thank you. I have to learn that now I am required to verify my facts since the accident last year. Correct, not sodium filled it's Stellite faced (coated) exhaust valves. Those valves were supposedly only the -3 engines.

My research (pretty poor) indicates there was a "blue" 360 HP engine in 1979 and a "black" 360 HP engine.

I have been told by owners of the black engine, that it is "better" but don't know specs.

Thank you. I have to learn that now I am required to verify my facts since the accident last year. Correct, not sodium filled it's Stellite faced (coated) exhaust valves. Those valves were supposedly only the -3 engines.
No worries. I only know from deep diving into sodium valves for an RV motor build.
You are correct that they are premium valves for severe duty.
Do you happen to know if the heads have seat inserts?

No worries. I only know from deep diving into sodium valves for an RV motor build.

The exhaust seats were induction hardened, No seat inserts.

Induction hardened seats, same as the rest of the engines.

-
Back