360 in a 64 Barracuda

-

johnnybegood

Reaction score
An older couple has purchased a 64, that has a 72 model 360 and trans in it. But there are several places where the steering link is hitting. The steering shaft is hitting the exhaust manifold.

Need some help in getting the problems straighten out, for the couple.

Thanks for your input.

My guess is it doesn't have an early A manifold on the driver side.

My guess is it doesn't have an early A manifold on the driver side.

...and the fix would be an early A manifold or expensive headers! Keep in mind that the early manifold would need some pretty extensive hogging out to port match the 360 ports! It can be done but it gets pretty thin!!

...and the fix would be an early A manifold or expensive headers! Keep in mind that the early manifold would need some pretty extensive hogging out to port match the 360 ports! It can be done but it gets pretty thin!!
And if that's the case it'd be best to just put up with the power loss.

what about a manifold off some later 3 60 cars, SUV's etc???? if they are "older" maybe they just want to cruise and the 273 man would be the FIT answer. and provide them adequate power?

Is it manual or power steering? Manual steering you could do Spit fires/laysons tri y's , or possibly a late model Magnum log.

Power steering, port out an early "A" manifold.

what about a manifold off some later 3 60 cars, SUV's etc???? if they are "older" maybe they just want to cruise and the 273 man would be the FIT answer. and provide them adequate power?

I don't believe there is a manifold from a later car that would not interfere with the steering shaft, although talk on the street suggests a 88-93 Dakota manifold may work!! Not sure about that and don't quote me on the year correlation either, just repeating what I've heard!

I don't believe there is a manifold from a later car that would not interfere with the steering shaft, although talk on the street suggests a 88-93 Dakota manifold may work!! Not sure about that and don't quote me on the year correlation either, just repeating what I've heard!

Treblig is looking into that...

If you are not running a V8 center link the oil pan will drag on the it. A '68-'69 340 exhaust manifolds will work if you have manual steering. Of course, now it may be cheaper to use headers.

Like Krazykuda said ,I would look here for Treblig he is about the best on how to overcome that issue with manifolds, good prices also. Depending on where and how bad it is hitting I have read here of some people "shimming up " the motor mounts. I have not done this myself. Let us know how it works out and Good luck !
:D

-
Back