360 interchange with 340?

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
Hey guys, stupid question, thinkin about putting a 76 360 in my 72 Demon for the time being just to keep her from sprouting roots in the driveway. My question is, is the 360 the same as the 340 as far as motor mounts and trans bolt pattern go? I always assumed they are, but never really confirmed it.

bolts right it...but make sure you are using the 360 balancer...and

the converter needs to be looked at....or the weights on the converter...

360 is externally balanced...will need either a weighted converter for a 360 with neutral flexplate or

weight flexplate with neutral balanced converter...

Don't forget that for some reason, they spaced the mount ears on the driver's side of the block slightly closer together, so you need to shim it with 1/4 or so thick stack of washers, on the upper aft bolt.

Don't forget that for some reason, they spaced the mount ears on the driver's side of the block slightly closer together, so you need to shim it with 1/4 or so thick stack of washers, on the upper aft bolt.

That's for 318 and 273 mounts

340 and 360 share the same mounts spacing.

Note whether the 340 is externally or internally balanced as well. If it is externally balanced the amount of balance built into the torque converter will be different than what a 360 requires for balance. This means you may need a new torque converter or you remove the weights from the torque converter and use a properly weighted flex plate fro the 360.

-
Back