360 into 73 Swinger

-

jamesg63

Reaction score
I have read lots of great info on here related to a slant 6 to V8 swap. I have purchased the Schumaker mounts already. I have the /6 and V8 drive shafts, Radiator,Harness, and front Disc. The engine is from a 73 or 74 Dodge motor home. It is a 360 with a 727 Tranny. I'm not certain certain on what rear end I have? So outside of the torsion bars and trans mount am I leaving anything out? I have heard that I need additional motor mounts too? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jim:burnout:

Is the trans a car/truck style, some RV's had a funky tail shaft that will not work.
You will need the proper v8 throttle and kick down linkage.

Driveshaft? same trans being used?
If the slant six car had the 904 behind it, then the 904 behind the 360 will bolt right in and use the same mount and driveshaft. Unless the above is true? I never heard of this but I guess it is possible. There's a few weird things out there I discover from here.

If you have the Schmaucher swap kit your good to go, been there done that.

Describe the rear by way of how many cover bolts on the rear. It is probably a 7-1/4. It would be really good to have a 8-1/4. There plenty strong and inexpensive.
A 8-3/4 is great to get and way way stronger but a bit pricey.

Fuel line?

I was gonna go with the 727 that came with the 360. As I mentioned previously though I do have both drive shafts. I would LOVE to run Headers just not sure if they would work

Tranny might be wrong as stated.
Oil pans from trucks are different.
Lots of header choices out there.
360's are external balanced, make sure you use the correct convertor.

You may also want to consider changing to a high stall converter. I just went through this and The 73 motorhome 360 had a 12" converter. I bought a reman high stall 360 converter for $50.00 plus shipping from www.wittrans.com I have purchased several from them and work like a charm, as long as you don't run a really big cam.

I understand the 727 may not bolt right up, but isnt it a stronger tranny? I was initially told that the 904 I originally had would not bolt up to my 360? I so wish I had found this site sooner! Maybe I shouldve bought a Chevy!!

I understand the 727 may not bolt right up, but isnt it a stronger tranny? I was initially told that the 904 I originally had would not bolt up to my 360? I so wish I had found this site sooner! Maybe I shouldve bought a Chevy!!

as long as it wasn't a /6 904, it would bolt up to any small block.

All you need to put the 360 in, other then what you have, is a 360 car oil pan, I just bought a new one from ebay for $49.00 shipped, and make sure you use the 360 torque converter.

as long as your transmission takes a slide in yoke it will bolt in with no problems, I have one in my scamp.

Center sump for cars, dont forget the oil pump pick-up also.

Will the /6 drive shaft be strong enough for a descent 360?

-
Back