360 LA Block Questions

-

KCBones

Reaction score
I haven't posted a dumb question since my last post, so here it goes:

I have a 360 LA core that I want to take to the machine shop and get checked and machined for a rebuild. I was told the engine came out of a van. I've seen some comments about truck blocks, is there a difference in the mounts for truck blocks versus the mounts on a a car block? Will I need to be aware of any differences between truck and car blocks before I take it to a machine shop and start spending money on it? I'm planning to use it to build a motor for my '68 Dart that currently has a 318 in it. Will I need to replace the engine mount brackets?
Thanks in advance.....
K.C.

The casting of the block is the same between truck and car engines. I am not sure if your 318 mounts will work on the 360 but I believe they will. I do know 340s are different but I have modified 318 mounts for my 340. Standard bore size on the block is 4.00” and .030 over shouldn’t be a problem at all. What year casting date is the block?

Far as I know all the LA blocks have the same mounts. Different cars have different mount brackets to adapt the engine to the car. Probably 90% of 360s came out of trucks or vans but they all drop into cars without issue. I think Magnum blocks have a second set of mounting points for trucks but still have ears that a car can use.

D/S mount is different on 340-360s FYI .You will either need the correct mount or modify your 318 bracket. Also 318s are internal balance whereas 360s are external balance. So flywheel or converter needs to be addressed.

Search online for 360 LA car oil pan. You'll also need a front sump oil pickup for your oil pump. 65'

Search online for 360 LA car oil pan. You'll also need a front sump oil pickup for your oil pump. 65'
Yeah, I've seen the ones that JEGS and Summit sell but I was hoping to find a used Mopar car oil pan. Those JEGS pans look a little cheap, maybe someone here has used them and had no leak problems. If so, that's probably a good option.

Yes, the oil pan is different. I still haven't found one for a car yet.

If you don't find a used one get a Kevco pan. they make fancy ones.. but also OEM style.. and one that looks OEM but holds 1qt extra...

The mounts for LAs are all in the same location.
however, one of the mounts on the 340/360s, are just different enough to be aggravating. Solutions tho, range from the simple to the slightly less simple.
Yes you can modify the 318 engine bracket to fit

Last edited:
I haven't posted a dumb question since my last post, so here it goes:

I have a 360 LA core that I want to take to the machine shop and get checked and machined for a rebuild. I was told the engine came out of a van. I've seen some comments about truck blocks, is there a difference in the mounts for truck blocks versus the mounts on a a car block? Will I need to be aware of any differences between truck and car blocks before I take it to a machine shop and start spending money on it? I'm planning to use it to build a motor for my '68 Dart that currently has a 318 in it. Will I need to replace the engine mount brackets?
Thanks in advance.....
K.C.
Same mount. Vans have different oil pans.

-
Back