360 la, mild built max rpm?

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I built a 360 for my 88 wrangler. I was just wondering what I should limit the RPM to?

Here are the specs:

Stock heads with small pocket porting

summitracing block hug headers

Dual exhaust with H-pipe

Howards Cams http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-712221-08/
6.1 Roller Rockers

Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLP-H116CP30/

Compression is 9.5-10:1

Edelbrock EFI manifold with Megasquirt

MSD 6AL

Stock rods, rod bolts, crank, main bolts.

Rite now I have it limited to 5k.

I linked it uptop, but here is the specs from summit:

Brand Howards Cams
Manufacturer's Part Number 712221-08
Part Type Camshafts
Product Line Howards Cams Max Torque Camshafts
Summit Racing Part Number HRS-712221-08

Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range 2,200-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 225
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 225
Duration at 050 inch Lift 225 int./225 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 279
Advertised Exhaust Duration 279
Advertised Duration 279 int./279 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.465 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.465 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.465 int./0.465 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 108
Computer-Controlled Compatible No
Valve Springs Required Yes
Camshaft Manufacturers Description Midrange and top-end horsepower and torque. Needs 4-barrel, gears, headers.
Quantity Sold individually.

I also have the 1.6 rockers so its more like .5 lift

Oh, sorry. Sometimes I can't read.

Looks like the cam's range is 2,500 - 5,500. I would run it to at least 5,500, it probably starts to fall off after that.

That cam is ranged till 5500 rpm. Shift @ 5700-5800, 6000 max RPM.

I use to have it limited to 5500 by MSD spark. But now I have it set at 5k fuel cut.

Guess I'll just set it to 5800, thanks guys!

t will probably start to drop off @ 5500 so why over rev it for no reason. My 340 drops off @ 6200 so I shift @ 6500. Sure it will turn 7000 or better, but why if im loosing power. I think 5800 is ample.

I also have the 1.6 rockers so its more like .5 lift

yeah 5800 is a sweet spot probably now

i'm guessing this is for offroad sounds like a sweet engine for your Jeep

what rears/axles are you runnin in that bad boy?

I'll plug in the laptop and change the fuel cut to 5800 and put in a higher spark chip in the MSD so that does not interfere.

I agree with not over reving it, that is why I had it set to 5500 before, than set it to 5k. It sees a lot of high RPM while at the Sand Dunes or in the mud/trails. I like to hold first gear and power up the hills.

Yeah its an off road jeep wrangler. The setup I have now provides me great power. I'm still tuning the computer but at the moment it will break the 39.5" tires loose if you stomp on it in 1st.

Unfortunatly i'm running a HP dana 44 from a 78 ford detroit trutrac...not sure how long that will last....

Rear is a 9" big bearing. 4.56 gearing and detroit locker, moser 31 spline shafts and weld on disc brakes.

Trans is a tf727 that is mated to a dana 300 all gear tcase.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=23991 has more about it if your curious.

If you are using the MSD style resistor chips, they normally start dropping cylinders 3-400 rpm before the number on the chip. If you want a clean 5800 shift rpm, I'd suggest putting in a 6200 rev limit chip.

I would go a few hundred higher just so you never use the rev limiter but its there if needed

I heard those rev limiters are hard on the engine bearings

Cant seeit,but maybe? I'd think that when cyl's are cut out,there would be less stress on the mains/crank? Idunno....

Well I can program it through fuel... so I'll put in a 8k chip if I have it laying around, and cut fuel . I can do a soft cut and hard cut.

-
Back