360, LA360, or Magnum 360?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I really hate to ask questions that show my ignorance...but

If I was to swap out my engine for a 360, which one should I be looking for? I just read that the magnum 360 will require a $800 intake manifold. 'Course It does have the roller cam

I think I'm correct that the early engines are the LA series? Not sure what year they went to the non LA

Could I get a little advice here?!! This is my first Mopar! And admittedly I'm not a gear head... Wish I wuz though! I'm learning a lot here on this most awesome site.

Anyway I realize that the 360 will pRetty much drop in... Needs balanced different... Needs a different oil pan... And the magnum needs a $800 intake manifold and possibly an electric fuel pump or a different cam.

I guess I'm thinking - not doing the magnum... More $$$$ than I want to spend. I am happy with the performance of my 318. It is just getting tired, low oil pressure. So looking like a LA360 or the later 360. What donor vehicle should I be looking for? And what year?

If I go with the LA or the later 360, do I still need much modifications, other than externally balance and a car oil pan?

THANKYOU AGAIN!

Mark

............do the magnum swap..........the intake can be has for $300.00.........get an electric fuel pump...........u need the car oil pan..................good luck......u need the balanced flexplate from B+M....u can shim the drivers side motor mount bracket to work from ur 318....kim..........

I don't know where you are comming up with $800 for a magnum intake, they are about the same price as an la one.
I picked up a M1 used on here for $175.00.
As far as the fuel pump hughes or mancini sells an adapter so you can use a la mechanical pump.
To put a magnum in your car you will need a car 360 oil pan.
You can re-use your la timing chain cover, water pump, pulleys etc.
Keep in mind that 360 magnum and la 360 are both balanced different so be careful.

Biggest drawback of the magnum is the heads have a tendency to crack. I would look for a late eighties to '91 pickup or van with the roller cam la motor. I am thinking about picking up a wrecked low miles '90 3500 van and installing the 360 with the fuel injection in on of my darts.

Biggest drawback of the magnum is the heads have a tendency to crack. I would look for a late eighties to '91 pickup or van with the roller cam la motor. I am thinking about picking up a wrecked low miles '90 3500 van and installing the 360 with the fuel injection in on of my darts.

Good point, but they all do.....

The magnums on my 360 were cracked on 2 cylinders.
The 974 I took off my 340 were cracked on 7 cylinders.

The heads on my dads LA 360 truck that he bought new were cracked when a valve job was done at 200K miles.

I did a valve job on my daughters 1988 3.9 dakota this summer, it had a burnt valve but no cracks.

Okay, thanks for all the good answers.

Looks like I still have lots of options. I will probably wait to find a good low mile 'runner' that I can get my hands on, whether it be a magnum or LA.

So if a Magnum, maybe a M1 intake? Not sure what that is, but sounds great to me, much better than the $800 intake. Where can I get one for around $300 or less? And what car model(S) do i need to grab the oil pan from?

Thank you , people!

Mark

So if a Magnum, maybe a M1 intake? Not sure what that is, but sounds great to me, much better than the $800 intake. Where can I get one for around $300 or less? ....

Pro-power (?) Crosswind intake can be had used for ~$100 it has dual mounting bosses LA/Magnum are you keeping the EFI? Cosswind is a carb intake with bosses for MPFI if needed.

Sorry, did not answer your question on the oil pan.
Any stock 360 LA oil pan and pickup will work, as long as it is a center sump off a car.
You can buy them used here, or pick them up off Summit or Jegs.

If your looking for a running low mileage engine to swap in I'd go magnum if its gonna be rebuilt first any will do.

I put a 91 ram 360 - 38,000 miles, gotten from the city as it was a work truck where I reside, stuck an early 360 four barrel manifold on it and a Eddy 650 cfm carburetor. I had to ground out the right rear side of the manifold so I could install a full size GM HEI in it and be able to rotate it for the vacuum advance. Engine has completely stock innards except I had to change the oil pump and car oil pan, thing runs like a Champ. Of course my 64 has headers and remote oil filters but that's the way I had it right down to the Vintage A/C for the past 30 years. The whole engine just hooked right up...
360017.jpg

Maggies ran 93/94 till 2003.Dakotas ,Durangos,Vans/trucks best place to find.If you decide to go Magnum,try for 96 and newer.Solves the flexplate problems weight wise.The thing about Magnums,the roller cam,less wear on the long block. If just want a simple in /out swap,no problems.I would look for a 88 to 92 LA roller cam block,for ease of installation.

So the roller cam 360 began as early as 93/94? Im not still a little confused, sorry.

I thought the roller cams were only in the Magnums. What year did the Magnum come out?

Mark

I think, 89-91 was a roller/LA block 92 up was a mag.

88 to 92 were roller cam 360 LA engines, 360 Magnums were 93 and up. There could possibly be a 92 Magnum in the later months but I haven't seen one

This site isn't done yet, but there's a lot of information about the magnums and putting them in place of an LA here:

www.magnumswap.com

The 89-91 LA style 360 have roller cams (though there are supposedly some leftover non-rollers in there so be sure what you are getting)

The Magnum has a number of other advantages as mentioned here.

That is an awesome site: magnumswap.com Thanks for the link, looks well done and comprehensive.

I found a lot of that info here also, but having it all in one place is great. Looks like my Dart will likely be getting a magnum...

Mark

This site isn't done yet, but there's a lot of information about the magnums and putting them in place of an LA here:

www.magnumswap.com

The 89-91 LA style 360 have roller cams (though there are supposedly some leftover non-rollers in there so be sure what you are getting)

The Magnum has a number of other advantages as mentioned here.

I would have loved to had all that info in one place.
And thank you very much for alll the answers to my pm's when I was putting my motor together.:cheers:

Ok, guys...I'm in the same boat.

I found a local Magnum 5.9 with 117k at a junkyard for $485 with no accessories, guaranteed to run. LX Guy's awesome web site has been super helpful but it looks like there's quie a bit to do do get this motor in my Dart.

Just now, I found a slightly more remote junkyard (still local) with a 1973 360 from a D100 truck...in running condition with an aftermarket 4bbl carb on it. No info on mileage...$580. It's still in the truck so it presumably will come with the starter, and the rest of the goodies.

Both motors come with a short guarantee...

Assuming the LA 360 is in good shape, would I be giving up THAT much horsepressure potential compared to the Magnum?

Is there anything noteworthy (ie problems) with a really early 360 like that? Is the aftermarket carb a red flag?

I like that the motor would be a straight forward swap. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty (and knuckles bloody) but I have a tendency to hit roadblocks and waste vast amounts of time...and I'm a pretty novice mechanic anyway.

Thanks for any advice!!

My goal for the car is to have a reliable, mild but enjoyable setup with potential for higher power down the road.

Thanks!!
Mike

-
Back