360 lubrication system question

-

Nick M.

Reaction score
Are there normally plugs installed in the lifter oil passages at the front of block, or are they sealed by the cam thrust plate?

there are small plugs that go behind the cam thrust plate

i think they are dorman 009 ...

Thanks, i figured as much, guess i will head back to the machine shop and ask for a pair.... of plugs :-D

Guy at the machine shop said not all 360's had them and that the cam retaining plate should seal that passage, he also said that even if oil leaked past the cam retaining plate that it would not noticeably affect oil pressure or oiling to the top end. I asked if it would hurt to install them anyway, he said no and handed me two... they are 9/16"

Guy at the machine shop said not all 360's had them and that the cam retaining plate should seal that passage, he also said that even if oil leaked past the cam retaining plate that it would not noticeably affect oil pressure or oiling to the top end. I asked if it would hurt to install them anyway, he said no and handed me two... they are 9/16"

He's not very bright. The plate does not seal them, at least not very well and while it won't hurt oil to the top end it certainly hurts oil to the bottom end. The right lifter oil galley feeds the mains with #1 main being the last in line. The #1 main in turn feeds the left lifter oil galley, not having any plugs is going to hurt the #1 main and rod more than anything.

Yes cam plugs are mandatory in that location.

I have read of modification for circle track racers not running some type of belt drive to drill a small hole (.050 IIRC) in the drivers side plug and a larger hole in the cam thrust plate to facillitate cam chain oiling. This would be for a race only engine running a HV pump.

the small plugs are included in the dorman freeze plug kit......

pn 009 is the dorman plug number...

One of these days I'll post about modifying the oiling system of a small block. I'm doing it to my new block now.

Thanks for the straight info guys. just didnt seem right that those plugs were missing,

-
Back