360 Magnum cam recommendation

-

Orange Duster

Reaction score
What cam would you recommend for a 1999 360 magnum going in a 1974 duster with 727 trans, factory high stall converter, 3.21 rear gears. Going with a 650 Holley carb, headers, 2.5 exhaust. Cam will be a roller regrind from Oregon cams or Delta cams. I like good low end torque with 5500 rpm redline. Smooth idle is fine. Thanks.

I just changed out the cam that came in my Mopar Performance 360 (LA Block with Magnum Heads) to a Comp Cam PN 20-614-9. It's a hydraulic roller tappet, Duration 264/274, Lift .480/.480, 112 Lobe Separation. We paired that up with an Edlebrock Air Gap Performer manifold and a Holley 670 with 4 corner metering. It runs really good. This is in a 1969 Barracuda Convertible with a 727 and Dana 60 (3.54 gears) rear end.

Orange, we have a custom ground hyd roller we use in our Magnum engines, we use it on FI engines but it will work really well with a carb. its around 212 @.050 and .525 lift 112 or 114 LSA. Great torque, excellent vacuum at idle and will pull like a champ to your 5500 red line. you will need to step up your valve springs which we carry, no machining required . Make sure your heads are 1.92 intake and not 1.88! Your heads are right on the year cut of being either. Give the shop a call on monday if you want to talk about what to get. 30 years exp with last 15 magnum only. 541-955-0363 9-6 Pacific time. We also have a cam that will replace your wimpy .397 lift with .450" and works with stock springs. Evan

You gave the key in your post.

That's the way to ask a question!

Considering your redline of 5500 and the use of 3.21 gears, I suggest an intake duration of [email protected] And no more. The min. IMO would be [email protected]. The intake duration is the key to the cams intended rpm range. A smooth idle is a cam on a 112 or 114.

Here is a Hyd. roller from Lunati that is something in the area that would fit your needs. You can use this info when talking to your grinder.

https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3175&gid=289

Another from Comp Cams, they can adjust the 110 to a 112/114 if you want.
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...oduct_Code=20-810-9&Category_Code=LACAMRFHRXE

You gave the key in your post.

That's the way to ask a question!

Considering your redline of 5500 and the use of 3.21 gears, I suggest an intake duration of [email protected] And no more. The min. IMO would be [email protected]. The intake duration is the key to the cams intended rpm range. A smooth idle is a cam on a 112 or 114.

Here is a Hyd. roller from Lunati that is something in the area that would fit your needs. You can use this info when talking to your grinder.

https://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3175&gid=289

pretty low lift for a roller. Ours is .525" with everything else very close specs. My cams are designed by Racer Brown, same guy that does cam for FBO race engine. Its also $175 on sale (regrind). I would guess Lunati is $345 ish. If you go regrind, new pushrods are in the $100 range for .080" wall Cr Mo hardened. We have PRW, Smith Bros and Comp.

Just showing what is available from other cam grinders as well as possibly educating someone how the specs work for there duration listed, rpm range intended coupled with the gear ratio to be used.

The cams lift is a spec you can ask the grinder about. Why they did such. I myself am a fan to use as much as possible (or prudent) for the build. Max lift isn't always needed or desired. But if I can, I'll take the most advantage of the heads flow a ilty as much as possible.

I like your cam specs. Most excellent for a driver with improved power. Your price is welcoming for sure. To compare your re grind to a new roller in price is very luring. A money savings move for sure.

Rumble, we also have new billets to but they are $399. If you already have good pushrods then you can reuse them and save some cash. We run .525" on our stage II cam as even the stock Magnum 1.92s heads will handle that with no problem. EQ's are even better. Check out our site sometime if you have a minute. We have some good deals on Mopar stuff. Working on headers for early swap as well as 67-74 small block power steering set. We pride ourselves on being an old fashioned company, there are only two people that will ever answer the phone, in English no less. We wont sell anything we wont put on our own cars. My business partner and I are both single dads raising our daughters, trying to make a living and not get taken out by Summit, jegs or amazon. Without a machine shop to carry the weight, its tough. Dont know how old you are but if you are over 40, you must remember when there were speed shops in every town?

What are the opinions on single pattern or split pattern(more exhaust lift and duration) on the magnum engines?

some grinders/cam company's seem to favor the larger exhaust profile, and we can grind our cams anyway you want, but in our opinion,with the lift and duration we are using, its not needed. the strength of the Magnum head is the exhaust port,its almost perfect OOTB. Its the intake that needs help. We have been very happy with the results and so are the customers. just my $.02

-
Back