360 Magnum flex plate mod question

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I understand that one must modify one of the bolt holes in the 360 magnum flex plate to fit the bolt pattern of an A904 torque converter. As the picture below from one of the tutorials describes, one just uses a rat tail file to open up the one of the holes that doesn't align.

So I did that mod and the hole now accepts my bolt....BUT...those holes are centered in a depression stamped in the metal, there is a shoulder around that depression. Torque converter bolts have a wide head and that shoulder interferes with the bolt head so it won't seat properly. Does anyone knock down that shoulder or anything? Heat and punch it down? Use smaller bolt heads?

I don't want to throw it off balance but I do want that bolt to seat properly.

Brian

Picture1.jpg

The couple of times I did it, I had no clearance problems with it- it was tight, but not an obstruction. Since yours does interfere, I'd just use allen head screws on it. Make sure you get the same length as your bolt; too long and they could bottom out and punch a hole in your tc.

I heated it and punched it down, seems fine, no other warpage noted. I wanted to stick with the wider head bolts as I assume they will grip better.

2.jpg

Question: when the magnum flex plate is bolted to the torque converter, should the edge of the outer rim touch the torque converter or does it make contact only on the bolt mounting pads?

-
Back