360 magnum or LA?

-

motorhead446

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm putting together a 71 dart drag only car for my wife and I to toy with. Since this is a tight budget project(what isn't) Im gonna use what I have available. For engines I have a 70's 360 and a 96 360 magnum. I also have a 65 383 but it is completely dissasembled. The magnum ran great in my father in laws tow vehicle, just low oil pressure(worn mains) the 360 la runs ok but I don't know much about it. Looking to just get down the track so the wife can learn the ropes. I will build something more potent later. So my question is, which engine is more ideal for my current goals?

I think you have already answered you own question.

No, not really. Id like to know if the magnum engines work well for drag racing. What are the limitations? Parts availability for magnums seems limited. I thought I had read somewhere that the magnum heads flow better than an LA and that the cams are a roller design. I dont know any of this to be true so I am asking here.

If I had to start from scratch, which is the better engine to spend my money on for say an mid 10 second A body, the LA or the magnum?

You'd use a magnum block, that's what I did.
Has roller cam, this alone makes it worth going with the magnum.
Everything else is the same apart from the valvetrain oiling.

If I had to start from scratch, which is the better engine to spend my money on for say an mid 10 second A body, the LA or the magnum?[/QUOTE]

IQ52 was correct until you said mid 10's on a budget. I know "tight budget" means different things to different people, but.....
You're probably better off building a 4" arm stroked 340/360 LA and using some well prepped J heads or some Eddies to get to that point. Not to mention the converter and chassis prep it takes to run those numbers. You might look into a forged rotator and a 200 shot if there is really a tight budget.

-
Back