360 Married to A833?

-
Reaction score
I presently have a 273 in my 64 Dart w/ an A833 4 spd and I'd like to upgrade to a 360. Does anybody know if the bellhousing from my 273 will bolt up to a 360? If not, are there bellhousings for a 360 that will accomodate the A833? I know there are alot of people who swear by the 273 because it is a little screamer, but I would prefer the low end grunt of the 360 to high end screaming.

The bellhousing should bolt up.

The flywheel needs to be rebalanced for the 360.

bellhousings from 273s only capable of 9.25 clutch i would recommend a latter model small block bellhousing so you can use a 10.5 inch clutch you will also need flywheel to match the 360 la or magnum

Depending on how wild you're going with the 360, you really don't NEED to swap in a bigger flywheel and bellhousing.
You can upgrade the clutch to a 10" scalloped pressure plate, some slant 6 applications used this combination.
A competent clutch rebuilder can also up the clamping pressure by adding extra springs with higher pressure rates.

I believe there is actually a diaphragm style pressure plate available, which helps lighten the pedal pressure, yet clamps good.
It would still need extra spring pressure added for anything you want to sidestep the clutch on.

As far as the flywheel goes, acquire a balanced B&M flex plate for a 360, take it and your stick flywheel to a crankshaft balance shop and have them match balance the flywheel to the flex plate.
Done this several times and it works great.

Mark.

i have for sale a flywheel with 6 hours on it for mopar magnum 360 - note , the magnum and la are balanced differently -jerry 9083436645

I also had to chop my input shaft because the 360 crank wasn’t drilled deep enough; chopping up a freshly built 833 will make you pucker a little.

“You can upgrade the clutch to a 10" scalloped pressure plate”

Pedal pressure of the scalloped pressure plate is very stiff and difficult to get working without flexing the firewall (others seem to like diaphragm clutch combos better). However, if you overcome the difficulties with Scallop clutch combo your going to like the way it launches.

Scalloped pressure plates allow for bigger clutches.

"Scalloped" means the innermost areas, where the pressure plate bolts pass through the mounting points, have been opened up to allow for a larger disc.
A person can actually do this to a stock 9.25" PP and just buy the upgraded disc.

The term "scalloped" has nothing to do with the resistance of the plate, just the available surface area.

There are other applications that used a scalloped pressure plate, like most '70-up Big Block and Hemi applications (10.875" disc on a 10.5" flywheel) and some '77-'79 big Block pick-ups (12" dsic on and 11" flywheel), just to name 2.

Mark.

Hi Mark, I didn't realize Scalloped referred tight pressure plate mounting – learned something new today. The original clutch on the 273 Commando Barracuda was also built that way to increase clutch plate surface area but no one ever referred to it as a scalloped clutch.

However, I assure you the 10.875" setup I am currently using on my 10.5" flywheel required considerable more pedal pressure. It actually broke a factory welds on the Z Bar, on one of my early outings. I have also braced the fire wall to the shock tower. I almost gave up on using it because it was so difficult to adapt but it cost a small fortune, so I kept at it.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just learning how to get around the FABO site and now I see I have to do a little more research on the vintage of the 360 before I commit. The whole roller lifter shaft rocker thing has me a little confused at the moment, but it looks like there is a virtual plethora of information out there from which to choose. Once I've made my decision, I may revisit the whole issue again. Thanks again for all your help.

Ron...

You will like this site and the great people willing to help. These guys are great they have walked me through my 66 Cuda build with a 74 360 and a 4 speed conversion for my dad. It is under tribute to dad in the restoration section. Btw dad says the 360 feels as good or better than his 273 commando did.

-
Back