360 motor flex plate

-
It depends on the transmission, converter, and how the 360 is balanced.
I have a 904 trans and the motor is a 360 externally balanced 1979 motor.and I think I should use a 10239 B@M flex plate but not sure,thanks for responding so soon,

Thanks for reply,I have a 904 trans,and a 1979 360 extrenal bal. motor I think the flex plate would be B@M 10239?

If your trans is the original for that car, it's a mismatch for either 318 or 360. The converter in a '67 has a small centering button for the 273 crank. If this is the case, I would either rebuild and beef-up this trans with a later pump and converter or build and beef-up a later 904 that uses the big button converter. If the existing trans is already correct and fresh, you also have the option of having the proper weights added to the convertor or having a converter built for it.

Thankyou,also I notice a pointer held on by a bolt on the camshaft retainer,what is it for? Bob

904s thru 1967 have 18 splines in the input shaft. Non-lockup transmissions 1968 and later have 27 splines. You can swap the front three main components from a 68 or later tranny and use a zero balance converter with the B&m flexplate. You can also use the early 904 tranny and converter with a spacer ring to take up the slack in the crank with the B&M zero bal. plate. Contact Pat Blais Transmissions(206) 365-1966 for the spacer. Or, just use a 68 or later tranny and and you get both options for converter, 360 bal or zero w/balanced plate.

i want to put a 360 in a 65 barracuda in front of a 904 push button that i believe is the original. i believe i have a flex plate from years back that i had connecting a 360 to a 727 from a 64 A100 van. how do i check the tranny and motor to determine what will work?

thanks

i want to put a 360 in a 65 barracuda in front of a 904 push button that i believe is the original. i believe i have a flex plate from years back that i had connecting a 360 to a 727 from a 64 A100 van. how do i check the tranny and motor to determine what will work?

thanks
You can bolt in the 360 with the following notes.....You'll need a bushing for the end of the crank for the small button converter (I think Mancini has them); A custom 360 converter for your trans or the B&M flex plate for your existing converter; motor mount brackets that will fit the 360 block and your K-member (Schumacher or modify your 273 ones); a 360 car oil pan, and a custom exhaust system. Most everything else should transfer over from your 273. If it's a true '65 model, it would not have a push button transmission. '65's were still cable shift but either on the column or the floor.
Thanks, Mark

thanks for the info, typo i have a 64...i know there is an oil pan problem, any idea if my 318 oil pan will bolt up fine to the 360? hoping to find some of the 360 motor mounts at our big mopar swap meet up north in a few weeks. my dad has a set of semi fender well hooker headers for the car but i hate cramming in headers where they just dont fit so i might be putting the stock manifolds on......but not sure on that yet. we will see how motivated i am to customize when it comes down to the swap. i also want to see someone that has the fender well headers installed to see all that needs to be done instead of a weekend of trial and error and scratching paint.

On my 360 before I put my oil pan on there are four maincap bolts that have threaded holes in the end of them,is it for a tray and do I need it?

thanks for the info, typo i have a 64...i know there is an oil pan problem, any idea if my 318 oil pan will bolt up fine to the 360? hoping to find some of the 360 motor mounts at our big mopar swap meet up north in a few weeks. my dad has a set of semi fender well hooker headers for the car but i hate cramming in headers where they just dont fit so i might be putting the stock manifolds on......but not sure on that yet. we will see how motivated i am to customize when it comes down to the swap. i also want to see someone that has the fender well headers installed to see all that needs to be done instead of a weekend of trial and error and scratching paint.
A 318 pan won't fit on a 360 and there are no stock exhaust manifolds that fit both the car and the 360 heads without modifying something. Semi fender well headers? So you only have to cut a hole for one or two pipes instead of four? You still have to cut a hole..... does it really matter how big?

On my 360 before I put my oil pan on there are four maincap bolts that have threaded holes in the end of them,is it for a tray and do I need it?
Yes, the four threaded main cap bolts are for a windage tray. As far as need, you'll have to decide that depending on what kind of RPM's you'll be turning. Oh, and a 273/318/340 windage tray won't fit a 360 either.
Mark

you mentioned that early a body manifolds wont bolt up to the 360 heads? i thought all the small block heads were interchangeable? and the fenderwell headers look like two of the tubes exit the inner fender but the they all collect down next to the tranny like most headers, not in the fender well. any experience with those type of headers?

you mentioned that early a body manifolds wont bolt up to the 360 heads? i thought all the small block heads were interchangeable? and the fenderwell headers look like two of the tubes exit the inner fender but the they all collect down next to the tranny like most headers, not in the fender well. any experience with those type of headers?
The 273 manifolds will bolt on but they won't flow good and usually won't keep a gasket as the port sizes are a lot bigger on the 340/360 heads. As for fender well headers, I just don't like them for the street. I don't like to cut up the car to begin with but unless you're going to run "pizza cutters" on the front, they're pretty hard on tires. That extra heat can scorch them good.

-
Back