360 oil pan gasket install

-

dartslantsix

Reaction score
I searched and could not find an answer. The rear main cap gasket on the oil pan is my problem. The ends of it stick up above the rails of the pan and I'm not sure it will stay in place as I'm trying to install. (engine is still in car) It looks like it might be better to install it on the main cap first as opposed to the pan. The other three pieces of the gasket will install to the pan just fine.

Is this the best way to approach it? Is there any trimming to the cork that needs to happen?

Attachments

• P1090150.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 926
Looks like the wrong seal to me, as the ones I have gotten at local houses has a much wider area that drapes over both inside and outside edges.
It was still a bit of a PIA to install with the engine in the car, but it went.
A little sealer or even just oil on the mating surfaces helps the rubber seal slide into place on the block without disturbing the seal too much.

Put that rubber end gasket on the rear main seal first, then the other seal opposite it in the pan, then put the flat cork pieces on the long part. RTV where they meet and put the pan on...

That gasket seats better if put on the rear main cap first, then tuck the ends in...

Put that rubber end gasket on the rear main seal first, then the other seal opposite it in the pan, then put the flat cork pieces on the long part. RTV where they meet and put the pan on...

That gasket seats better if put on the rear main cap first, then tuck the ends in...

This is what I was thinking after looking at it for a while. Thank you. I'll get it installed tomorrow.

At first, I thought I had the wrong gasket. The parts store said both 318 and 360 had the same gasket, which I knew was not correct. Looks like the 318 uses the same rubber seal front and rear, whereas the 360 has the smaller seal on the back.

This is what I was thinking after looking at it for a while. Thank you. I'll get it installed tomorrow.

At first, I thought I had the wrong gasket. The parts store said both 318 and 360 had the same gasket, which I knew was not correct. Looks like the 318 uses the same rubber seal front and rear, whereas the 360 has the smaller seal on the back.

The magnums DO use the same gasket. I believe? the mags use a 360 size gasket, can't remember. If they show the same part no. there should be THREE of those seals, one for the front, of either, and one for 360, and one for 318, rear.w

speaking non magnums here: Yes that is a 318 rear seal & as said a 360 (smaller) one is needed. I just bought another set so I'll get the brand/# for you today when I come back in. If the pkg is destroyed upon opening (no return) a person might be able to cut a section out at the bottom of the arch then glue it back together with a premium gasket maker such as "the right stuff" permatex or I've heard good regarding Hondabond cement (I just got a tube but ain't used it yet).The front timing cover is the same so the front end gasket is always the same there.

Looks wrong to me, i just went through this experience (painful on a early a-body)

Part of the seal should drape over the main caps

Attachments

• IMG_8754.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_8753.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 755
I searched and could not find an answer. The rear main cap gasket on the oil pan is my problem. The ends of it stick up above the rails of the pan and I'm not sure it will stay in place as I'm trying to install. (engine is still in car) It looks like it might be better to install it on the main cap first as opposed to the pan. The other three pieces of the gasket will install to the pan just fine.

Is this the best way to approach it? Is there any trimming to the cork that needs to happen?
Thought you were sporting the magnum?

Thought you were sporting the magnum?

Yes I am. The gasket was leaking pretty bad, so I'm replacing the gasket. I tried using a modified Magnum gasket (spliced in the LA front rubber part) the first time. I have the old style gasket set here, so I am going to use it this time.

The pan was bent in the rear corners and I did not catch it when I installed the pan the first time, so I got that fixed.

We found best luck with mag gask with front cut out and silicon bead. We are working on a custom pan that will just use whole mag gask without mod. Dont know if anybody wants a $200 pan though. We have Kevko now but dont sell a bunch of them due to scummit selling chinese junk for $60.

I was also having trouble getting my KevKo pan to seal on my 360 LA and went to the Mildon 360 one pice gasket and that did the trick, and not a Magnum but for the LA. did not know this even existed till it was recomended from a guy on this site.

Update:

I installed the rear seal on the bearing cap instead of the pan and everything else installed swimmingly. No leaks!

Thanks for the help!

I was also having trouble getting my KevKo pan to seal on my 360 LA and went to the Mildon 360 one pice gasket and that did the trick, and not a Magnum but for the LA. did not know this even existed till it was recomended from a guy on this site.

Hang on...really? The only one-piece 360 oil pan gasket that I am aware of is unfortunately for the Magnum motors...can you share the part# please?

Thanks!

One more thing you REALLY need to watch is pan to oil pump interferance.

-
Back