360 or 340 ??????

-

69fstbkcuda

Reaction score
Taking the 318 out of the cuda I have a 340 and a 360 available.
Just wanting to make it a neck breaker...:burnout:

Which would you pick?

I'd stroke that 340 giving you a 416. A stroked 360 will give you a 408 with tons of torque. However what are your plans/goals for the car (drag, Daily Driver,etc...)?

Asking that question usually results in a long debate between 340 and 360 fans. But since you put "neck breaker", it would tend to favor the 360 because it naturally has more torque and more cubic inches to start with. (A stroker tends to make the two more even, all else being equal.) A 360 will also be "streetable" because of the extra cubic inches. The shorter stroke of a 340 likes higher RPM's. But either one can be made to have "neck breaking" response.

Just wanting to raise some cain around town on the weekends and down the track once or twice a year.

imo with 340 blocks becoming expensive to replace....360

Here we go...on paper it would seem that a 360 extra stroke would have a advantage but a well built 340 will more than hold its own.rpms mean power also.

360 stroked out....That's what I have and it runs great and is streetable and can still light the tires and raise some heck. The 416 is also a very good engine

mine is a 360 stroked.. hence a 408 crazy street car... and a neck breaker.. the mrs will usually drive any car in the herd.. but not this one.. she is scared of it.. all 110 lbs of her..

but all aside.. my 408 def rocks

Here we go...on paper it would seem that a 360 extra stroke would have a advantage but a well built 340 will more than hold its own.rpms mean power also.

A built 340 will turn more rpm then your basic 360, if it has the higher compression pistons and the 360 still has the stock pistons, I would for sure use the 340.

Just needs lots of gear and stall if auto

I love my 340, would not trade it for a 4 inch stroke small block.

Now a BBM like a 440, well that is different, those blocks were design to handle more stroke, even so 3.75 is the stock stroke.

It depends on what year the 360 is and if your going to leave the stock crank in the 360 or not. Early 360's are externally balanced motors. If your going to use an aftermarket converter with a stock 360 crank, it needs to be neutrally balanced and you have to run a special aftermarket flex plate. If you do it right, it won't vibrate.If you do it wrong, get a mouth guard to protect your teeth. If your going to stroke the 360 and change the crank to a forged internally balanced, this no longer is a problem. You'll have to change the vibration damper to an aftermarket as well, I suggest a fluid damper. You won't have these issues with the 340.

If your going to use an aftermarket converter with a stock 360 crank, it needs to be neutrally balanced and you have to run a special aftermarket flex plate. If you do it right, it won't vibrate.If you do it wrong, get a mouth guard to protect your teeth.

you make it sound like some big issue. an $80 flex plate with a standard neutral balanced converter and its a done deal. not like its anything exotic.

if ya already have a 340 then build it. i just picked up a standard bore '73 340 block. im building it with all new aftermarket parts. :)

Just so you know, the 360 has plenty of meat to go to a 416. I've done more than one. It's only .070 over and you use the .030 over 340 stroker piston. You're only talking .005" more per side from a .060 overbore.

Just so you know, the 360 has plenty of meat to go to a 416. I've done more than one. It's only .070 over and you use the .030 over 340 stroker piston. You're only talking .005" more per side from a .060 overbore.

Hmmmmm.

you make it sound like some big issue. an $80 flex plate with a standard neutral balanced converter and its a done deal. not like its anything exotic.

Your right, it's not a big deal. Just something to be noted between the two engines. In my experience with building 360's, I have seen this small tid bit overlooked by some and it always ends the same way, with someone wondering where that strange vibration is coming from. Just sayin'.

360s are cheaper!!! don't mater as long as its MOPAR...................

360s are cheaper!!! don't mater as long as its MOPAR...................

that's right, 360's are cheaper and and somewhat easier to get pistons for.....how much of the 340 do you have? If it's a 72 or earlier, yep stick with that you'll be hundreds of dollars closer having forged stuff from the factory:)

-
Back