360 question

-

tguss

Reaction score
i think its time to pull the 273 out of my 68 valiant, my brother have 2 360s one is a 2 barrel the other is a 4 barrel both are 1981 motors the four barrel is in a rv. should i grab up on the four barrel motor for my build and also would the trany that is in the rv work in my valiant or use the one thats is in it. ?? any help would be greatful. i got away from chevy and got me a nice mopar after 20yrs. :newb:

my plans for car is do upgrade on brakes and rearend put in a healthy motor, it will be for the streets no racing . add headers , alum intake carb and better cam just above stock.

There not needed for a just above stock build like you described.

Ethier engine will be fine for the build up. Choose the one in the best shape. Less miles would help. Check it with a compression test. If it needs a rebuild, I recommend the KB-107 hyper-u slug. Inexpensive and close to zero deck. With a 72 cc head, which is more than likely what you have & a .039 gasket will get you a 9.8-1 ratio. (At a zero deck height slug.) You can drop it a little with a .054 gasket as well.

would the trany in the rv bolted up to the 360 work in the valiant this is the 4 barrel motor with 52,000 miles ( i can hear this one run ). its a 81 sportsman

Bolt up? Yes. Work properly? As long as the trans from a 360 mates to a 360, your fine. The issue here is engine balance. The factory externally balanced the 360. This means the harmonic balancer and the tore converter are made for the 360 only. If you try and bolt up the 904's converter and hook up the trans, you'll have a vibration. You'll need a B&M flex plate to solve that problem. There not to much money.

Some of them transmissions in motorhomes had that little stubby tail shaft. You'd need to deal with that too if it does.

thank all , ill be useing trany bolted to the 360 if i use a stall converter would i need to change the flex plate also ? im pretty fair with chevys but mopar is differnt story all help is really greatfull

-
Back