360 Redline

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance...I'm working on a turbo buildup and need to know how high I can expect a non-stroker 360 to rev. Doesn't make sense to add a turbo that kicks in at 3500-4000 rpm if the redline is 5000. On the other hand, I don't want the turbo to start at 2500 if I'm all in at 5000 and the redline is 6500. this will be a street driven car. I've got a stud girdle and will be using h-beam rods and pro-gram main caps, so the bottom end will be pretty durable. I'm thinking Edelbrock Magnum heads, and obviously a turbo cam.

In general, a safe RPM is 6,000 rpm and basic street red line is just that with a more amp'ed up build going another 500 to 6500.

Red line is determined by cam profile, valve train stabilty and rotating assembly's weight. Stroke is the other, but it is a known. Once you change one of the parts, ie; upgrade, the red-line changes.

Rather than start with what is a 360's red line, start again with what you want to do and work with the materails you can get to make it work.

Ultimate is generally @ 7500, while you can raise it higher, it is just a simple matter of dollors needed to be spent on it for a higher rpm ceiling.

NASCAR trucks go to 9500, or was that...er, never mind...big pro teams spend big for big rpm's....

I'd probably spin it about 6800 if its balanced right and the valvetrain is tight.

If you need any help turbo-mapping or a second opinion. Give a holler :D

I have a roller/magnum 360 in storage that will probably get stroked and turbocharged...it'll take some time for cash flow to speed up enough, but I plan it to be rediculous and very streetable :D

I'd probably spin it about 6800 if its balanced right and the valvetrain is tight.

If you need any help turbo-mapping or a second opinion. Give a holler :D

I have a roller/magnum 360 in storage that will probably get stroked and turbocharged...it'll take some time for cash flow to speed up enough, but I plan it to be rediculous and very streetable :D

Go goody go!

I had a 318 years back, .030 over bored with Badger pistons and a Crane split like I'm useing now in my resto thread. (216/228 @ .050 )
One night I step on it till it stopped climbing the rpm gauge. That was 6800. Vaaaaaaaaaaaalve floooooooooooooooooat.

I've spun my teen up in the 6700-7000or so...once while doin a good tire spin...didn't hurt anything suprisingly lol

Thanks, guys. That helps.

I've decided against the stroker (for fuel economy reasons), but my turbo guy still expects 550 to 600 hp at the crank. This is gonna be my daily driver, so reliability is key.

Turbo mapping is a pain in the *ss for a math moron like me! I'm just reading all I can and have found a local turbo guru to do the heavy lifting. Once I have the motor built and have added the efi (still undecided which one I'll go with), I'll drop it at the turbo shop and let him do his magic. Thanks again for the help!

Its not too bad and im a math idiot. lol. Finding true volumetric efficiency is a little sketchy, but you can get pretty close.

If you get a chance, ask your turbo-man what figure he is using for the magnum heads for your volumetric efficiency, probably around 80% or so.

-
Back