360 roller combos

-

67Baccaruda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I picked up a nice 19k mile 1989 roller 360 Long Block with 308 heads from a FABO member last weekend. It is in nice shape but the intake has been off for some time. Therefore I am inclined to disassemble clean inspect and re-gasket prior to use. So now I'm Thinkin'.......

I need Intake, Carb, Dist, cam, Headers etc. regardless.

Option #1 Freshen motor as is. With stock comp ratio 7.5-8.5 ??? (does any one know comp ratio?) new cam, good valve job and minor head cleanup.

Option #2 Same as #1 with a set of higher comp pistons (approx 9.5:1) + little more cam.

Option #3 Same as #2 with 4" crank and 9.5:1 stroker pistons and little more cam.

Light street car 3.23 gears, 904 with low 1st, I don't mind a little more stall than stock.

What HP/TQ levels can I expect from these budget minded options?

I'm doing the same thing, I have KB 107's ready to go in. I'm on a budget so next month I'll get the rods. I want to use a mild roller and have some ideas. Then get a good valve job on the 308's and bearings, block machined, gaskets and I want to use the O/D trans..It should be a strong engine and very streetable. It goes in my 67 Barracuda convertible. Somebody should be able to give you some HP and TQ numbers.

If you are on a budget go with option #2. Should be able to get over 400 hp with good street manners depending on the cam.

IMO! Since your askin, I'll leave a note after each option;

Option#1 Freshen motor as is. With stock comp ratio 7.5-8.5 ??? (does any one know comp ratio?) new cam, good valve job and minor head cleanup.

Time waster

Option #2 Same as #1 with a set of higher comp pistons (approx 9.5:1) + little more cam.

Best budget bet. (You did say budget....)

Option #3 Same as #2 with 4" crank and 9.5:1 stroker pistons and little more cam.
Best power bet and all around fun machine, even more so with 3.23 gears.

Light street car 3.23 gears, 904 with low 1st, I don't mind a little more stall than stock.
That'll depend on the engine size and combo. Cam has a lot to do with it. This answer depends on the route you take on your engine build. We'll have to come back to this later unless you find a combo you like that someone has done or you have driven.

What HP/TQ levels can I expect from these budget minded options?
A stroker? On a budget? Hummmmmm, sign me up at your job!

Seriously, what kind of power do you want to make? Sky's the limit and your wallet has the hot air for the ballon.

Here is what I'm leaning toward. Keep the 3.58 stroke Stock crank and rods + ARP bolts, 9.5:1 + or - pistons and balance. Mildly ported 308 heads with larger valves installed. Roller cam Comp 268, 274 or similar Hughes. windage tray, RPM or RPM airgap, TTI stepped headers TTI 2.5 with X. Retain 3.23 sure grip (short 25.6" tire). 904 with low 1st, Converter??

How does this combo sound for a quick street car? HP/TQ???

Use the smaller cam and intake valves.

On a budget..focus on pistons, heads, cam, intake, carb, headers.
But don't forget a Double Roller Timing Set, and a High Volume oil pump.

Stock valve size 1.88/1.60 is fine...but you will need some .550" capable springs.

For the cam,
I don't know who makes Hyd Roller Cams now for mopars...but I got my old one from Crane Cams...it was about $320 for a custom grind.

I recommend a more aggressive cam since your gonna be sticking with the roller lifters.

Try to find a split duration 223*/225* @ .050, .520" to .530 lift 110 center....it translates to a 284 with some more thump.

Should be good for 450-500hp with 9:1 - 9.5:1.

For the Induction,
Minimum of 750 Double Pumper on top of a Edelbrock RPM Air gap with Holley Blue pump and regulator at 6-8psi.

Headers are a must, dual 2.5" exhaust pipes or bigger.

Should put over 350hp/430 ft lbs to the ground in 110* weather.....all day on pump gas...stock stroke....and you should be able to spin it 6500 no sweat.

Thanks for the input.

I guess I partially regret the term budget. Better terminology would have been bang for the buck considering the car and parts I have as well as the intended usage.

I have considered 408 with forged internals and prepped edelbrock heads, But would I be quite happy spending 4k less?

I have 19k mile 360 904 combo to start with.

Now I need to consider the car, 28k survivor That I do not want to cut in any way.

TTI headers and exhaust, RPM or Air gap, upgraded springs and torsion bars, YES.

Subframe connectors, visible mods, and lower gears (car has 3.23 8 3/4 Sure grip) NO

I have installed front disks and sway bar

I plan To build new engine and trans combo with new K frame and transplant, Painting to look like bone stock except headers, retaining stock 273, 904, and K frame unmolested on the shelf.

I think the 408 will just blow the tires off and not gain me a lot in this application? Although I am open to other opinions.

So now that you guys have more info:

So here are the new questions.

Now much cam is possible with 3.23 and 25.5" tires with stock converter (I am willing to go with more converter But I don't want lower gears)? I love The way more cam sounds but having power where I want it and drivability is much more important.

For the money ($250 or so) would it be worth going with 2.02 valves?

How well do the Hypereutectic Pistons hold up? I've never owned a set.

My goal is to far exceed performance of a 68-9 340 car and look almost stock doing it.

The more cam you have the more converter you'll need. How much is to much for you?

you keep asking questions. Just select a combo and be done with it. Your allready way past stock HP specs by a large margin.

Best bet for that famous line,
My goal is to far exceed performance of a 68-9 340 car and look almost stock doing it.
Just go and build a F.A.S.T. engine.

-
Back