360 running hot

-

jaws

I put the fun in dysfunctional
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Radiator has been cleaned out, roded out, 180 stat, and a new 5 blade viscus clutch fan. Thought I had it whiped, but got into some trafic, and up it went. (220+) And when it goes up it dont want to come back down, even running down the highway. Only thin I can find is the fan only comes out of the shoud about 1/2 inch. Could that be the issue? I do have the spring in the lower hose.

Tony, the whole fan is inside the shroud, just the back 1/2 inch sticks out. I will see if I can get a pic.

Not a fan issue since at highway speeds the fan is not doing the cooling - air flow from going 60mph is. What was it doing before you had the radiator cleaned out? There could be a blockage passage or two in the block

Flush the block really well, (Both ways) and go from there.
Didn't see anything about it being done.

The whole drive train has about 5000 miles on it. Motor was hot tanked when bilt. I did all this because it started to get warm in traffic. I found that the clutch on the fan was bad, I could cool it down if the rpms were raised. So when I tore it down to put the new cluth fan in, I saw that the radiator had a small leak so I had it fixed. The old fan stuck out of the shoud about 1 1/2 inches the new on only about 1/2 inch. May try to flush the system and put the 7 blade fan on the clutch.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 511
  • 002.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 521
my fan is about 1" away from my radiator. 180* thermostat. its all i can do to get it hot. you can see how deep my fan is buried into the shroud. im using a 7 blade solid mount fan

Attachments

• 318.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 3182.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 511
The whole drive train has about 5000 miles on it. Motor was hot tanked when bilt. I did all this because it started to get warm in traffic. I found that the clutch on the fan was bad, I could cool it down if the rpms were raised. So when I tore it down to put the new cluth fan in, I saw that the radiator had a small leak so I had it fixed. The old fan stuck out of the shoud about 1 1/2 inches the new on only about 1/2 inch. May try to flush the system and put the 7 blade fan on the clutch.

The fan looks to be in the proper position to me. 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud. Make sure your bottom hose isn't collapsing when revving the engine. If you see it collapse, make a coil out of a metal coat hanger and put it in there.

Update, backed the fan out of the shroud another 1/2 inch. Also changed back to a 190 stat, sofar so good.

Or, get a summit racing aluminum radiator. There's a little bit of fabbing to be done to get it to fit, but unless you are stuck in traffic, it'll never over heat. And even if you do get stuck 1500 RPM is my magic number for geting the temps down to normal. It'll be hard pressed just to get up to temp just driving around.

I have found if its a late 360 which have thinner cylinder walls the temperature is usually higher than the early 360. My 91 360 in the Signet runs around 200 all day and gets hotter in traffic as well, but never boils or overheats. Than again, I'm just a nobody

My 390 ford pickup has the stock radiator dual electric fans a 180 degree thermostat and a new water pump and it never sees over 170. In the cold mornings it tops at 136.

Pretty sure your issue is lack of flow. Thermostat has always been the culprit for me.

cumiford - if your engine never heats up over 136, your thermostat is probably bad and staying open all of the time. It should stay closed until the engine heats up to 180. This is done to prevent sludge build up and excessive wear due to low operating temperatures. No matter what the temperature is outside, your engine should be able to reach proper operating temps.

I run a 360 block 408 stroker. I ran 215 - 220 degrees in the summer. The same fan and radiator were in the car with a 318 last summer and it never got over 180 degrees. I opted for a Champion aluminum radiator with dual electric fans and shroud. I occasionally hit almost 200 on a very hot day, but it runs cooler in stop and go traffic. In traffic it sits around 180 and once in a while as high as 190. I am running a 180 degree t-stat as well. Go aluminum. You will not regret it.

-
Back